I can't win

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: I can't win

Postby meriad » 28 Nov 2012, 17:58

that's also where I get mine from Gal :)

admittedly I haven't been told to wean Molly off them but I do tend to give them to her every 2nd day only and have done so for some time and the bloods are OK
meriad

Postby miasmum » 28 Nov 2012, 19:05

I will thanks, would it still work out cheaper getting them online rather than claiming for them on her insurance?

At the moment it is still under investigation, hence the urine sample. Nothing ties in with her still. One thing is high, but then something else is normal.

I did get Mowgli's Denamarin online, but I don't need a prescription for them and he isn't insured anyway.
miasmum

Postby Gal » 28 Nov 2012, 19:10

I don't know MM, Tinker wasn't insured so I have no idea if it was cheaper that way - I was given the Viovet info by a friend and it proved a very good piece of advice :D
Gal

Postby meriad » 29 Nov 2012, 11:33

Shell, I forgot you have insurance for Mia; in which case it probably will be more cost effective to get them from the vet and claim back from the insurance; provided you only have to pay a single excess per condition and not an excess whenever you claim

Have you had the result of the urine sample yet or when is that expected.
meriad

Postby miasmum » 30 Nov 2012, 21:56

Well Simon has just rung, does that man ever go home :? :? Mia's urine results aren't too bad, but he is still very concerned about her urea levels. To start with he was just going along the diet route, said lets try senior food for a month and retest. Then he said there is a drug that might help called Fortekor. So I said I have a couple of friends who had good results with that. He said "she isn't insured isn't she?" When I said she was he said, well we can try it then, I was holding off because it is very expensive and obviously Mowgli has cost a fortune, but I forgot she was insured, (he is so lovely). He said it is swings and roundabouts, the diet alone could reduce the levels and we can retest in a month, but if it hasn't worked then they may be too high to reduce with medication, plus Fortekor could help her heart. The down side is Fortekor increases urea levels which is her high level, but if the kidneys work better that won't be such a problem. The big worry is that occasionally Fortekor causes loss of appetite and that would be dangerous. Hopefully though if that is the case, stopping it and getting fluid into her will be enough to restart her eating.

Not sure what to do now? What do you think?
miasmum

Postby Gal » 30 Nov 2012, 22:12

I think I'd be inclined to have a go with the Fortekor MM x As you say they can retest after a bit to see how things are going....Tinker had no appetite loss but then he was a baby really (8 months when he was so ill).

I can't remember it being particularly expensive though....my vet recommended it right away but told me about the option to buy online with a prescription.

xx
Gal

Postby meriad » 30 Nov 2012, 22:53

I agree and would go straight down the Fortekor route. It's worked really well for Molly and her levels are really good again. And in all honesty - trying to control any kidney issues by diet alone is OK if you have a non-fussy cat. But most cats are fussy so the medication route is the easiest way. I cannot remember; does Mia like Webbox sticks? If yes the Fortekor are the perfect size to hide in them

You can always speak to Simon about putting Mia on Fortekor for about three months and then rechecking the kidney values. Then if they are good reducing the medication to every second day only and see how you get on with them. Molly should be getting one every day but for the past year I give it to her every second or third only and she's doing just fine... She's been on it for years it feels :)
meriad

Postby miasmum » 30 Nov 2012, 23:48

We will retest in a month Ria

Thank you both, I think I will go with it. The only thing that worries me is at the moment she is so well in herself. Happy, eating like a horse, lively I just worry in case it changes anything the wrong way
miasmum

Postby Gal » 01 Dec 2012, 16:43

I can't see any harm in trying her with it MM.....but only you can make the decision xx

FWIW Tinker thrived on it, I was scared to stop giving it him - but he was fine :)
Gal

Previous

Return to Pets