How is everybody today?

For those non-humans who share our home

How is everybody today?

Postby miasmum » 08 Feb 2013, 15:51

I am just off to the vets. Mia is having blood tests for her kidney function and both of them are finally having their boosters. If I don't have them done this month, I will have to start again as if they were kittens. If I hadn't had to start using a cattery I wouldn't be bothering
miasmum

Re: How is everybody today?

Postby meriad » 08 Feb 2013, 16:17

Good luck with the blood tests - fingers crossed for a good result - and also good luck with the boosters. A rather expensive necessity they are :(
meriad

Postby Diflower » 08 Feb 2013, 16:37

Good luck :)
I gather Minnie won't be able to have vaccinations any more, which I'm pleased about, don't really believe in them for older dogs.

She's about the same really, definitely a bit more alert but still zonked 99% of the time. Insides of her ears are still white as a sheet. The steroids are making her ravenous but other than that we'll just have to hope she doesn't go downhill at all and then see what Monday's blood test says.
Diflower

Postby meriad » 08 Feb 2013, 17:06

last year was the first year I didn't vaccinate Molly as she's really old (20). The others will all be vaccinated until the age of 10 / or had 10 consecutive years of boosters and then I'll probably stop theirs as well as they will have whatever immunity they need.

Just need to obviously make sure it's OK with the pet insurances.
meriad

Postby miasmum » 08 Feb 2013, 17:59

My two are nearly 12 and indoor cats. Its a pain about the cattery as it means they need flea treatment as well. So that was two boosters and two lots of flea treatment and Mia's Fortekor £110

She didn't have her blood tests. Simon felt there was no need as she is doing so well and looking so good. So he is going to leave it another 6 weeks so there is 3 months between them. Her weight had stayed the same too 3.65kg.

Mowgli is also doing well, but he has lost a bit of weight. Simon said again if he is well, he is, eating, he is, playful, he is, he doubted the weight loss was anything significant. He has dropped from 6.17kgs to 5.97kgs, but when you think about it, that is only 20gms, so less than an ounce.

Glad Minnie is holding her own. How long are the steroids for Di?
miasmum

Postby Diflower » 08 Feb 2013, 18:53

Ages MM. They'll be at this dose I think until her blood count is normal or near, then gradually decrease so long as the blood count doesn't go down.
It'll certainly be a lot of weeks, could be months. Some dogs do go on to have no meds at all, others stay on a maintenance dose as otherwise their blood count drops.
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 08 Feb 2013, 19:04

Di I'm rooting for Minnie to keep holding her own, she's such a brave girl 8-) :) xxxx

It's nice to know that Mowgli and Mia are doing well Shell :)

Pepper needs her boosters this month - she's totally unfazed by it though, I'm sure it worries us more than it does her :roll: They always make a huge fuss of her at the vets we use, so she loves going :lol:
Kaz

Postby tonicha » 08 Feb 2013, 19:41

xxxxx to you all xxxxx

I used to hate taking our three to the vets - being half Siamese, they'd howl all the way there in the car, even with the music blasting out to keep them happy :roll:

And the receptionist just to take one look at me and say "oh, hello Mrs B"

The cats would growl at big dogs, hiss at anything else, howl, as only Siamese can :lol: and generally make the waiting room very very very noisy.
tonicha

Return to Pets