Rehoming a cat Help Ria UPDATED

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: Rehoming a cat Help Ria

Postby Gal » 23 Mar 2016, 14:27

miasmum wrote:Hi Gal, I don't have any emotional problem with it. Mia has been gone nearly 5 months

I know, but I remember you saying you couldn't bear to get another cat.....of course time is a great healer and I am glad you feel able to offer George a home :)

You dont live TOO far from George's home now, so I think he'd be fine with you. Heaven knows Smudge comes and goes all the time, and no-one knws where he gets to, but he's always waiting at the door at 5.30 am for Tom to let him in, feed him and then he finds a cosy spot and sleeps all day....comes alive when we get home from work and then (no cat flap, won't have one) it's in and out all evening :roll: :lol: All cats are different though, George will find his own routine with you.

Try and keep his diet the same as now, and spend as much time as he'll let you grooming him and playing with him. He'll soon settle in and get used to you I'm sure ;) xxx
Gal

Re: Rehoming a cat Help Ria

Postby miasmum » 23 Mar 2016, 17:37

To be honest I don't think I ever said I couldn't bear to get another cat, Tim wouldn't agree to another cat so I knew I couldn't have one. He is not happy about this, but understands I was put on the spot and knows how much Kim means to me.

We do have a cat flap which is good. His diet has to stay the same he has special food from the vet as he has tummy troubles
miasmum

Re: Rehoming a cat Help Ria UPDATED

Postby miasmum » 28 Mar 2016, 12:35

Right so here we are, almost a week on. I have been feeding George once or twice a day and he comes to me when I call him. I can stroke him and pick him up, although the monkey does bite, he doesn't scratch. Today whilst he ate his breakfast I put his flea stuff on and tomorrow night will be the worm stuff, same scenario, as he eats.

I called into his vets, he had his boosters in October last year, he is regularly wormed and flea treated. He had some dental work in December. He is microchipped, although Pet Log want £16 to change his address, thought that was a bit steep :shock: and he is insured with Pet Plan.

Tim came with me last night and George was rubbing round his legs. Tim was amazed as when I am getting his dinner he stands on his back legs and tries to pull his bowl down. Tim couldn't believe how big he is and that he gets through a normal sized cat flap.

So the plan is on Thursday evening I will take my cat carrier with me and then Friday whilst he is eating his breakfast, I will close the back door and grab him and put him in the carrier. He is going to live in the dining room for a fortnight and depending how he is, I will then let him wander the house and open the cat flap into the cat run for him for at least another week. I thought if I grab him half way through this breakfast he will still be hungry when we get home and I can give him the rest.

So its all systems go for George to move in and I am quite looking forward to it :lol: I just hope he settles ok
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 29 Mar 2016, 19:45

:D :D :D Yaayy for George! :Hi: :Hi: :Hi:
Kaz

Postby Weka » 30 Mar 2016, 08:03

Gosh that sounds like my George. He was a large cat, yet still somehow got through the cat flap, and would bite, well, hold my skin in his teeth but never left a mark.

I'm sure he will be fine, he will just need time to adjust.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby miasmum » 30 Mar 2016, 09:06

Thanks Kaz and Weka. I bought him a catnip mouse on Monday, he loves it :lol:
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 30 Mar 2016, 09:42

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Gal » 30 Mar 2016, 13:34

miasmum wrote:Thanks Kaz and Weka. I bought him a catnip mouse on Monday, he loves it :lol:

Excellent! :lol: :lol:
Gal

Postby meriad » 30 Mar 2016, 16:39

Fab news Shell and I really really really wish you all the very best of luck with George - he's a lucky fella! :Hi: :Hi: :Hi:

One word of advice if I may though; is given the close proximity of your house to his original house please try and keep him in for longer than just the two / possibly three weeks.

He won't have to stay in the dining room very long at all and not sure I'd keep him in there for 2 weeks if he settles fairly easily (esp as he will be on his own) but definitely TRY and keep him in the house (not even out into the run) for 4 weeks at least. And the reason I said TRY in capital letters is because I totally get that some cats will just go totally mad if confined and you may have to give in sooner; but in all honesty - the longer he and you can put up with him being inside the better for him

Oh, and if you read this before you go over tonight; maybe take the carrier with you tonight already so it's not a totally strange object to him and may freak him out... it could make getting him in there a bit easier? (but then maybe not - cats will be cats when it comes to carriers) ;)

I'm so happy for George and you xx
meriad

Postby miasmum » 30 Mar 2016, 16:58

Why not in the run Ria? Surely that will help him get used to the smells and sights in the garden?
miasmum

PreviousNext

Return to Pets