Cat problems, any advice?

For those non-humans who share our home

Cat problems, any advice?

Postby miasmum » 04 Apr 2016, 09:12

Firstly although he has done a couple of wee's in his litter tray he hasn't done anything else which is worrying me.

Secondly he was really friendly last night, came into the lounge and sat with us all evening. We went to bed and shut him in the dining room. At 2am we heard crashing, he had clawed up the carpet by the door and was now throwing himself against the french doors. We left the door open and he came upstairs, but just meowed and wandered, on the bed, off the bed. Finally I took him into Luke's room with me and he continued wandering and meowing but at least I wasn't stressing about Tim as well. Finally I fell asleep then this morning couldn't find him. Shook his treats tin nothing and he always comes for that. Finally found him right at the back of Luke's bed. Tempted him out with his breakfast and made him come downstairs and he has eaten about half of it, but now he is back hiding under Luke's bed. I am off to work today so he will have the house to himself.

I just don't know what to do tonight, Tim will go mad soon if he continues to keep us awake at night and he has been really nice about him until now. I can tell he was cross this morning as he didn't wake me up, so I finally woke when he got in the shower at 8.30 and I usually get up at 7.45.
miasmum

Re: Cat problems, any advice?

Postby meriad » 04 Apr 2016, 11:08

it's a difficult one Shell, but in all honesty look at it from George's point of view; he's had his world turned upside down and is unsettled. It's a new environment for him and not what he's used to - he'll need a bit of time to settle and I do hope that Tim realises George isn't being a naughty cat but that he's just really confused and if anything needs reassurance and not disapproval; thing is - George will start picking up on Tim's vibes which really won't help the situation.

Personally I'd see how he goes if you don't lock him up at all at night and let him realise that you're heading to bed and give him the choice of coming with you; so he knows where you are and that life is OK. Do you have any of his beds / blankets from the old house that are a familiar smell to him? If yes put one on the foot of your bed or Luke's bed and again; that may help him settle.

There are other things you can try - the usual Feliway or Pet Remedy diffusers. Bach rescue drops in his drinking water... all sorts.

Daft question; you sure he's OK with his hearing and sight? That could also explain the unsettled behaviour at night.

Obviously if he's a very restless and vocal cat then you may need to shut him away at night; but he won't just accept that overnight as he's not used to it and it will take a few potentially unsettled nights for you all. Could you lock George into the kitchen utility room that has access to the cat run so he can go 'outside' at night? Wondering if that would make a difference? And then have a radio on so he's got some noise with him?

But try the not locking away first - and hard as it may sound - Tim is the human adult and is the one that needs to realise that George is just a cat who is confused / scared / anxious.

((hug)) not an easy one when you're caught in the middle like this
meriad

Postby Weka » 04 Apr 2016, 12:30

First night is always the worst. Second night is usually better.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby miasmum » 04 Apr 2016, 12:46

That was second night and whereas when he was in the dining room if we called him he would come for fuss, now he is under the bed he is refusing to move. I am worried about his bowels to be honest this is day three
miasmum

Postby Gal » 04 Apr 2016, 13:21

Oh MM he is confused and scared! Imagine if you were in his position, you'd be confused as well - he doesn't understand what's going on bless him.

I know it's hard given your situation, but try and spend as much time in his company as you can, but don't fuss if he wants to stay put hiding. He'll come out if he's hungry or needs to toilet. I'd only really worry about 'the other' if it gets much further down the line tbh. At least he's peeing, so his kidneys are ok.

He just needs patience and time, and love.

xxx
Gal

Postby meriad » 04 Apr 2016, 13:46

thinking back, my Monty hid behind a false wall for the first two weeks, then spent the next few weeks in the bottom of a chest of drawers (I'd removed one of the drawers to get at him behind the wall)... he's now the most affectionate cat ever :D

As Gal says patience time and love will soon get him there
xx
meriad

Postby miasmum » 04 Apr 2016, 13:47

I'm confused too. Last night he was laying on the sofa having his tummy rubbed purring his head off. Today he is under the bed refusing to come out
miasmum

Postby miasmum » 04 Apr 2016, 14:15

Ria to be honest that's what I was expecting. That he would hide and come out when we left the room but from the off he only eats if we are with him and as soon as we come in the room he appeared for fuss. Last night apart from being on and off the bed he was purring and laying with us. So this morning when he refused to come out was very different
miasmum

Postby meriad » 04 Apr 2016, 14:51

I agree that it's disconcerting that he was fine the first two days but then he may be slightly uncomfortable if he hasn't had a poop in 3 days. But to be honest, I'd just leave him be - if he comes out for a fuss then fine, and if not just ignore him. As long as he's eating / drinking and as Gals says wee'ing then just give him his space. Hopefully he'll be more settled tonight and you all get a good nights sleep x

And maybe do try some rescue drops in his drinking water - 8 drops should be fine. the two diffusers I mentioned are also quite good, but not the cheapest ;-)
meriad

Postby Kaz » 04 Apr 2016, 15:04

Oh bless, hopefully he will settle soon. I am sure, like Gal and Ria have said, that he's just confused at the moment and will settle.

xxxxxx
Kaz

Next

Return to Pets