Cat problems, any advice?

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: Cat problems, any advice?

Postby miasmum » 04 Apr 2016, 17:49

He has a Feliway diffuser in the dining room Thats not much good if he isn't in there and I just can't afford another one. The chickens have cost me £75 since Friday
miasmum

Postby meriad » 05 Apr 2016, 10:36

totally agree, Feliway is a darn expensive product.

how was he last night x
meriad

Postby miasmum » 05 Apr 2016, 10:39

Ok so yesterday evening he had a poo :Hi:

He was out and about during the evening although I was out Tim did see him. When we went to bed I tried shutting our door but leaving him the run of the house, first he meowed outside then he starts scratching so I have to let him in. So then we start the on the bed, off the bed, meow meow. Finally I took him into Luke's room and shut our door so Tim could sleep. I was awake all night, he just meows and wanders and then scratches the door to our room, so I have to get out of bed and fetch him. I did put his blanket from his house on the end of the bed and he did lay on it and settle for about 15 mins, just enough time for you to drop off, then meow meow meow again. Finally as it gets light he goes under the bed and goes to sleep. Ria I tried leaving the landing light on it made no difference. I have moved the diffuser into Lukes room too.

I asked where he slept at home, either on the landing, under Margarets bed but mainly he was out all night getting up to no good
miasmum

Postby meriad » 05 Apr 2016, 12:16

miasmum wrote:Ok so yesterday evening he had a poo

whoop whoop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

miasmum wrote: but mainly he was out all night getting up to no good

And that'll be the issue - he needs to learn that night time is indoor time for him at the moment. I suspect you'll be in for a few more loud nights but then hopefully he'll soon learn that he can't get out and settle down.

What you could also try and see if it makes a difference, is cut down his food during the day and then give him more at night; in the hope a fully tummy leads to sleep? Also, if you've got an oil / incense burner what about burning lavender oil at night - again natural calming and it may help him.

And finally - depending on how food oriented he is - what about hiding a few dry treats in the house so he has to hunt / find them; that may keep him occupied a bit as well?

But hopefully he'll soon realise that he night time is indoor time and sleep! x
meriad

Postby miasmum » 05 Apr 2016, 17:20

I did think of feeding him later, same as you do with babies. So instead of 1.5 pouches at dinner time and and evening, I am now giving him one three times a day, the last one just as we go to bed.

I have just opened the french doors whilst he ate his dinner, but next door kicking their football freaked him out too much to eat. I think going out wont be the excitement we think it will as he is terrified of anything he doesn't know. I coaxed him out in the run earlier with treats, but as soon as he ate them he shot back in through the cat flap. I think this is a good thing and I know its early but I think while we are home at the weekend I might leave the back door open so he can get used to outside. I don't think he will run off, he is too nervous if I open the door he runs away and hides. He knows we are home and safety which is a good thing
miasmum

Postby meriad » 05 Apr 2016, 17:24

miasmum wrote: I know its early but I think while we are home at the weekend I might leave the back door open so he can get used to outside. I don't think he will run off, he is too nervous if I open the door he runs away and hides. He knows we are home and safety which is a good thing

Obviously totally and completely your decision, but personally I wouldn't - not yet x
meriad

Postby Diflower » 05 Apr 2016, 18:25

I wouldn't either, local friend recently got her cat back from Dubai, she thought ten days was enough but lost him for 3 days.
He was quite clever, obviously lost, appeared on a doorstep in the next road, yelling :) He wears a collar so the rest was easy.

Well done so far I reckon Mm, especially with an anti-social cat x
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 05 Apr 2016, 18:44

Do they make Feliway collars for cats? We bought Fraggle an Adaptil one, when we first got him - a lot cheaper than a plug-in for every room xx
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 05 Apr 2016, 19:24

I don't know Kaz

I thought he would be champing at the bit to get out but seeing how scared he is about the great outdoors I am more confident that he wont run away. Obviously I will watch him and if we go out I will shut the doors, but the fact he wont even go in the run through the cat flap reassures me he is not champing at the bit to get out there
miasmum

Postby miasmum » 05 Apr 2016, 19:57

Ok, well it doesn't matter now, as Tim has just issued the ultimatum George needs to be gone by the time we go on holiday. He says he never agreed to keep him, he said he could come here whilst I found him a home. I wish now for Georges sake I had left him at his own house, I thought he would change his mind, stupid me.

So I am very sad, but Ria do you have any idea how I go about finding him a home. I don't want him to go to a rescue centre so do I ring them and offer to foster him until they can find somewhere.

Dreading telling my friend
miasmum

PreviousNext

Return to Pets