Tuffty's New Leaf

For those non-humans who share our home

Tuffty's New Leaf

Postby shazsha » 18 Mar 2013, 22:52

Tuffty, aka Evil Edna, has turned over a new leaf and is now a much nicer cat.

She used to go out every night, come home about 10am,eat, sleep and awaken to more food and a growl/swipe/spit at whoever was nearest.

Now she only goes out at night for about 40 minutes then comes home and sits in the lounge with us on whatever knee she fancies! She's obviously not using up the same amount of energy outside so has become very playful dashing up and down the house like a head case.

I really cant get over the change in her since Candy crossed Rainbow Bridge... it's like having a new cat.

She is even starting to acknowledge Kaya, the dog, although poor Kaya isn't at all sure of this new development...Candy definitely must have been top cat and it's only now that Tuffty is coming into her own.

It's actually nice to see her develop this new personality!!!
shazsha

Re: Tuffty's New Leaf

Postby Weka » 19 Mar 2013, 07:44

That is a change. How old is evil Edna? (Love the nickname :D )
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby meriad » 19 Mar 2013, 13:33

My Molly was like that when Chloe died, but I didn't read the signs properly and ended up adopting 2 kittens to keep her company.

it's amazing how some cats really come into their own when they finally are given the chance, and quite interesting to realise just how the feline hierarchies; ie how a feisty cat like Tuffty actually was 2nd in command.

Fusses to her and I'm glad you are enjoying your 'new' Tuffty
meriad

Postby debih » 19 Mar 2013, 13:40

Our cat Boris was like that after her mate Mandu died.

She was a real outdoor cat and only ever came home for food. We could go for weeks without seeing her, only knowing that she still existed because her food was gone. Even when we did see her she was just a flash of white, running past. She hated being touched and was just very grumpy.

I always remember one Tuesday night sitting in the front room and she came strolling in and sat on my knee. We were completely amazed, she hadn't done that for years - in fact, I don't think she ever really did it as a kitten. She sat there all night - I was desperate for a wee bit didn't dare move in case she didn't get back on my knee again after.

The next morning Mandu came up to our bedroom and right in front of us had a fit and died.

From that day on Boris used to come home once a week for a big snuggle with her mum. She continued to do it for the next couple of years until she died.

(And in case you are wondering - we thought she was a boy when we got her, hence the name!).
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby shazsha » 19 Mar 2013, 23:37

Tuffty is 12 this year, Weka, although to look at her you wouldn't believe it-she still looks like a kitten at times!

I would like to get another kitten but will wait a while to see how Tuffty comes on. I think she's due the top spot after all these years and I don't want to send her back into Edna mode. Ria, how is Molly now? Did she accept the new kittens easily and is she now in charge? Has she remained more friendly or did she go back to her old ways?

Isn't it strange how Boris decided to come for cuddles just before her mate, Mandu, died? Cats definitely are strange creatures.
shazsha

Postby meriad » 20 Mar 2013, 10:41

Shaz, Molly was 13 when Chloe (her sister) died - it was in the June and that same year November I adopted Jamie and Abbie (again two sisters). Molly will be 21 this year May so she's a really old girl.

She did go back to her 'old' ways a bit once Jamie and Abbie joined. For the few months that she was on her own she was very vocal and clingy and enjoying having me about but once J & A came into the house she went quieter again. But they would snuggle up to her (for the first few months anyway - didn't last long :D ) and I think she quite enjoyed having their company as she and Chloe were very close. Sadly though - as said - once J & A got older they were out and about more and Molly spent most of the day on her own and was happy to have me home, so back to the affectionate / clingy cat.

She's always adapted OK to having new furries join, but then the older the more chilled I think they are. If you were thinking of getting Tuffty some company then I would hihgly recommend getting two older kittens (Jamie and Abbie were 5 months old when I got them and it was perfect) so they have each other to play with and won't bug Tuffty too much, but still be young enough to integrate easily.
meriad

Postby Kaz » 23 Mar 2013, 18:03

How strange, but wonderful for you Shaz :D

There is a real pecking order with dogs and cats, isn't there? 8-)
Kaz

Postby JoM » 23 Mar 2013, 20:30

That's really lovely Shaz :D

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 23 Mar 2013, 20:50

and chickens Kaz.

Shaz I am so pleased Tufty has become more of a companion
miasmum

Return to Pets