I tried a gentle introduction today.......

For those non-humans who share our home

I tried a gentle introduction today.......

Postby miasmum » 17 Aug 2013, 19:37

well that was the idea.......

Octavia Orpington seems too big for the small run. I asked for some advice on the Omlet forum. A few people said at 13 weeks she is too small to risk introducing her to Ivy and Mary. TOO SMALL???????? She is like a flipping Do-Do. So I posted a photo and they seemed to understand.

So while Ivy and Mary were free ranging I let her have a wander without the door closed. Ivy and Mary came in and Octavia attacked THEM :shock: :shock: She threw herself at them, feet and claws out, wings flapping, neck ruff up. They looked a bit shocked but obviously retaliated and then it was two onto one. Luckily a water spray worked and I managed to separate them. She didn't seem a bit bothered and Ivy and Mary wandered off muttering about "the youth of today, no respect"

Meva and Issey put themselves to bed and only came back out when the door was firmly shut.

To be fair I don't the wind helped, the newbies were pretty spooked anyway but blimey I had forgotten the stress of chicken introductions

Yep just looked and I think she is definitely a Do-Do
miasmum

Re: I tried a gentle introduction today.......

Postby Lozzles » 17 Aug 2013, 23:20

Oh Shell, I think you might have your hands full with Octavia :lol:
Lozzles

Postby miasmum » 18 Aug 2013, 00:14

I think she will be lovely Lozzles.........in time.

I think Meva and Issey will be lovely too though and so so pretty
miasmum

Postby meriad » 19 Aug 2013, 10:59

just seen the pictures and wow, she is one huge chick(en).... goodness me; what was she fed as a little one? :shock:

You know, I really thought chickens were very sociable creatures and would be easy to introduce to each other; along the lines of chuck them all together and they merrily cluck on.... didn't realise they potentially are more difficult than cats - wow :o
meriad

Postby miasmum » 19 Aug 2013, 18:10

No no no Meriad, where do you think the phrases hen pecked and pecking order come from. Once they are settled they are fine together, usually (she crosses fingers)

Octavia is an Orpington, they are huge chickens that is why is a big baby now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__oVaVZ6mQ
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 25 Aug 2013, 20:14

I know I shouldn't really, but I'm LOLOL @ Octavia - that chicken is a bruiser :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Return to Pets