Feel really unsettled and upset now

For those non-humans who share our home

Feel really unsettled and upset now

Postby miasmum » 11 Sep 2013, 09:10

On Saturday before I took Mowgli to the vets, he did struggle off the settee and have a drink, but he seemed so weak and in pain. I tried hand feeding him, but he just growled at me and wagged his tail, and let it all drip back out again. But I would have preserved if the ultra sound hadn't showed the damage it did.

However, yesterday I saw Simon who said "I just wish I knew why? His bloods were normal, whereas before they have been all over the place. Everything pointed to an infection and Weds he seemed so much brighter." I said "but by Thurs when I picked him up he was a very different cat to the one I saw on Weds" and he agreed and said yes he did seem much more down Thursday but he was hoping being back at home would perk him up. Then I said and the ultrasound and then he said "but we knew his liver was enlarged and fibrotic, that was nothing new. He wasn't jaundiced and bile was still getting through" so now I am left thinking I didn't give it long enough. I should have brought him home and tried harder and longer. He had drunk some water on Saturday, maybe he was on the mend.

Tim says 'he didn't see him, he is just surmising and maybe having fought so long last year he feels a bit miffed that the decision was made by someone else"

I don't know what to think, I am wondering about emailing Sacha the lovely vet who did the deed and asking her or emailing Simon and asking him? The one thing I had about it was peace of mind and that has gone now
miasmum

Re: Feel really unsettled and upset now

Postby Kaz » 11 Sep 2013, 09:54

I'm a bit cross with Simon Shell -it sounds to me as though he is thinking more of his ego than of your peace of mind :(

You acted on the advice of a qualified professional, and Simon should respect that, it's not terribly ethical of him to raise doubts with you about the efforts of another vet! Mowgli was suffering, even Mia knew it was the end for him, by her actions :( You did the kindest thing for your pet.................

Have a hug ((((((((((((((((((((Shell))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xxx
Kaz

Postby Lozzles » 11 Sep 2013, 10:01

Actually I'm a bit cross with Simon too. I know he has been wonderful over the years, but his comment has upset you and made you question your decision, which was the right decision. You know this in your heart Shell ((((((((((((((Shell)))))))))))
Lozzles

Postby debih » 11 Sep 2013, 12:24

I am also very cross with Simon on your behalf Shell.

He didn't see Mowgli on those last few days. Sacha did and in a very professional way was able to make an unbiased recommendation. Mowgli was ready - he had been so much in the last few years and he had decided enough was enough. Mia knew that and in your heart Shell, you knew that.

I know Simon has been really good to you but that was a very unprofessional comment.

(((((((((Shell)))))))))))
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby JoM » 11 Sep 2013, 13:48

I'm cross at him too, you have to listen to Tim on this one and remember how Mia was reacting to Mowgli too :(
You did the right, and kindest, thing for him ((((((((((Shell))))))))))

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Diflower » 11 Sep 2013, 15:04

I agree with everyone else xx
Diflower

Postby miasmum » 11 Sep 2013, 18:24

Thank you all. My friend Mandy at work lost her gorgeous dog a few weeks ago so I have been talking to her a lot and she said "he was probably just thinking out loud, trying to get it straight in his head" I have often said I think there is a slight Aspergers slant to Simon and this proves it, he just says what is in his head without thinking.

I know deep down the reason I feel like this is guilt. There was a part of me that was relieved when they found what they did. Relieved to be allowed to let him go. Relieved not to have to try and force feed him. Relieved not to be waking up every morning thinking will he eat? Relieved not to have to continue to watching him every waking minute, thinking is he ok and more than anything relieved to be able to end his pain quickly. I know Simon says we would probably have had to tube feed him again, but I didn't want to and that would have been worse. To actually have been given that option, tube feed or he won't get better, how do you then say no?

Plus last week cost me over £700 and I am still paying the £2000 from last year. If I could've made him well I would have paid it, last year proved it, but all the money in the world wasn't going to repair his liver, all it would have done was buy us time. And I know from H (my cocker spaniel who developed acquired hepatitis), once you start getting relapses they get closer and closer together and more severe.

Me and little cat, just want him back, that is the pain today, and I know that will pass.

Thank you xxx
Last edited by miasmum on 11 Sep 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
miasmum

Postby debih » 11 Sep 2013, 18:31

(((((((((((((Shell)))))))))))))))))
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Kaz » 11 Sep 2013, 19:31

((((((((((((((Shell)))))))))))))))))))))) Relief is normal xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kaz

Postby meriad » 12 Sep 2013, 09:31

Shell, I didn't want to say anything on CC or FB when you posted what Simon said because I knew you really value him and his opinions but I'm glad others have also said that they are annoyed / cross with him because that was my first reaction when I read your post but I didn't want to upset you any further.

You 100% did the right thing - as you say; the relapses would have started more and more and closer together and all that time Mowgli would - to you - have been OK. Animals are amazing at hiding pain so for him to have been so not himself to me was a sure indication that he was not well. And as I said before - Mia KNEW!!!! If nothing else; trust her.

I was in a similar position when I lost Jasper; I took him from the emergency vet to my vet who said that I could take him home but I'd probably have anything between 4 - 8 weeks before he'd have a relapse and that he wouldn't be comfortable in the meantime. So for Jasper's sake I did what was the hardest thing I've had to do and let him go. Jasper was quite a grumpy cat for the short time I had him; in hindsight probably due to the fact that he was so ill; but my other cats - the last few weeks totally ignored him and stayed out his way; exactly what Mia did with Mowgli.

To this day - nearly 3 years down the line - I still wonder if I did the right thing; but I know that had I delayed it would have been for my sake and not his and that wouldn't have been fair.

((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))) my friend x you definitely did the right thing
meriad

Next

Return to Pets