Ruptured ACL

For those non-humans who share our home

Ruptured ACL

Postby Weka » 14 Oct 2013, 07:28

My poor George has ruptured his cruciate ligament in his back right leg.
We came back from being away for the night to find him limping, so we headed off to the after hours vet. $150 to be told to go back go the vet mid week. So back again last Wednesday, another $80 to be told to come back today. So today they sedated him so they could get a proper feel for what was going on without him tensing him muscles.
He will get surgery on Wednesday, then it's 4-5 weeks of cage rest. Poor thing, he's going to go mental. He's an outdoor cat who loves inside at night.

Sasha and I had a bit of a cry this afternoon as we were discussing the options for him. Hubby bless him, said he never considered any other option, ie amputation. The op is going to be between $900-$1200. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Re: Ruptured ACL

Postby Kaz » 14 Oct 2013, 08:16

Oh poor George, I hope he'll be ok xxxxxxxxxxx

Do you not have pet insurance over there? I have to say I would never be without it................ :?
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 14 Oct 2013, 09:24

Oh my goodness poor George ((((x))))
Diflower

Postby Ally » 14 Oct 2013, 10:42

Aaaw poor George. :( xx
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 14 Oct 2013, 13:06

Poor George :(

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby meriad » 14 Oct 2013, 19:57

Oh poor George; and poor you. Some tough weeks ahead, but to add that, from my cat forum, I know of a few cats who for whatever reason have had to have cage rest for some time and most actually cope a lot better than expected. But you have to make sure you don't give in to temptation too early and let him have too much freedom too soon; you have to be really strict.

I know it's a UK site so you may not get answers right away, but if you do have questions feel free to join us if you want: http://www.catchat.org/forum.html
meriad

Postby miasmum » 14 Oct 2013, 20:26

Poor old George Hope it isn't as bad as you think
miasmum

Postby Lozzles » 14 Oct 2013, 22:33

Poor George. I hope he recovers well xxx
Lozzles

Postby Weka » 15 Oct 2013, 09:35

Thanks everyone. And thanks Meriad. I'm use to talking to myself here during my day. :D

He gets his op tomorrow sometime. I went to see him quickly today, he looked up as soon as he heard my voice and struggled to the front of the cafe for a quick smooch before he lay back down. Poor thing is in soo much pain.

I would have loved to stay longer, but I had left a vomiting Oliver with the cleaner while I dropped Sasha off at kindy and I slipped in to see him and drop off he medicine. He had been vomiting every half hour since 5am, and had just as I was leaving, so I thought I would be safe and was rushing home to be there in time for his next one, only to discover he had twice in 10 minutes. :cry: Cleaner was really good though, she was reading him a story. She is also (coincidently) a registered preschool child minder 8-)

His vomiting eased mid morning, and he was looking heaps better after lunch, so I made the call to dash put to west auckland to pick up the cat cage I will need, so big bowl, kids, water, blankets, and spare clothes packed, we headed out west, which involves going over the harbour bridge, in gale force winds. That was a hairy experience. Got the cage, collected the trailer from mums, (the drainage guy phoned, and he's starting our job this Friday :shock: , not next month :shock: ) so now I'm all set for Thursday. I decided to make the run today, just in case Oliver and or the weather are worse tomorrow.
Weka

Postby Weka » 16 Oct 2013, 09:06

George had his op today, sounds like it has all gone well. I will know more tomorrow though.
Weka

Next

Return to Pets