Fireworks and nervous animals

For those non-humans who share our home

Fireworks and nervous animals

Postby debih » 02 Nov 2013, 19:45

Millie is very nervous of loud noises and fireworks have always been a nightmare.

It doesn't help that our village had four VERY loud 15 minute firework nights, four times a year as part of the illuminations (one every Saturday in October this year) and that the theme park up the road also has quite a few from now until Christmas as part of their Christmas theme. As we are on the sides of a valley the echo makes the fireworks seem twice as loud.

She has always cried and shook when they happen. Then last New Year she was at my parents and mum said she completely freaked out (Millie not my mum) - more so than any other year. Whether it was the accident that made her worse I'm not sure (though I think it is as since her accident she leaves the room if Mick is watching/listening to rubgy and someone blows a whistle).

So at the end of August I went to the vet to see if there was anything I could give her and they recommended Kalm Aid. A 250ml pump bottle cost me around £17. They did say that it would work on some dogs (you must be able to give it to cats too as there is a picture of a cat and a dog on the bottle) but not all but if it didn't work to come back and they would recommend something else.

I have to mix it with her food - she could take it neat but she doesn't seem to like the taste of it that much. They recommended that 3 days before each firework night I give her half a dose a night (3 pumps) and then on the night of the fireworks I give her a double dose (12 pumps). Then, during Bonfire night season I give her between 3 and 6 pumps every night.

It has worked!!! When the first lot of fireworks went off at the beginning of October, you could tell she wasn't particularly impressed but she just sat with her tail between her legs and ears flat to her head, under the coffee table. The same for the next ones.

As I type Gullivers have their display going off and she is lying quietly at my feet just ignoring them.

The vet also said that I we were to ignore any behaviour that she displayed whilst the fireworks were going on as that would just encourage bad behaviour. So now we do.

The change has been remarkable - I can't recommend the stuff enough. Kalm Aid made by Nutriscience. I'm going to see if I can get it any cheaper from the internet.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Fireworks and nervous animals

Postby Kaz » 02 Nov 2013, 19:51

Interesting 8-) Fraggs has been barking a bit at the fireworks last night and then again tonight, but not scared IYSWIM. We've been trying to ignore him - that old premise of ignoring bad behaviour and praising the good - so we'll see how we get on.

The same ignoring thing is starting to cure him of his dreadful leaping up and clawing at me habit when I've been out. The last few times he is very much improved 8-) 8-) Not easy to ignore him as he's so pleased and excited to see me, but it's working :)
Kaz

Postby debih » 02 Nov 2013, 19:52

Thats good to hear Kaz.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby miasmum » 02 Nov 2013, 21:34

I wonder if that would work on my mother in laws dog? She is nervous all the time, but the fireworks terrify her. I will google it
miasmum

Postby Lozzles » 02 Nov 2013, 22:07

Jasper is a bit unsure when the fireworks start and he looks to me for reassurance. I don't comfort him, just carry on as normal and that seems to let him know that there is nothing to worry about.
I also get the jumping up at me thing, always have. I must be firmer with him. Difficult though because I just want to cuddle him :lol:
Lozzles

Postby Diflower » 02 Nov 2013, 22:19

We don't get the jumping up at all, but did ignore it when Minnie was a puppy which probably stopped it.
Fireworks she doesn't like, but is not a quivering wreck so we don't worry - as Kaz and Loz said, more or less ignore it, although tell her she's a good girl and try to get her to settle down somewhere.
I can't ignore her when she just stands there, panting, in front of me because she's quite big and I can't then concentrate on anything - and Strictly was on ;)
Mind you, sometime tonight Bb will have to drag her outside and try to make her have a wee :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 02 Nov 2013, 23:03

:) He's stopped being noisy now, we've just ignored him and stayed calm, and now he seems to know there is nothing to worry about :) He's a smart boy on the quiet and seems to learn quickly 8-)

Loz it is very hard to ignore that cute little bundle throwing themselves at you :roll: :D but it does stop the jumping up. Then they can have a cuddle afterwards ;) :)
Kaz

Postby Lozzles » 03 Nov 2013, 00:43

I'll try :cry: ;)
Lozzles

Postby Kaz » 03 Nov 2013, 09:37

:lol: ;)
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 03 Nov 2013, 13:31

He's a terrier, he'll learn quickly, sadly gun dogs don't :lol: :lol: