Fraggle

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: Fraggle

Postby Diflower » 10 Nov 2013, 23:18

Lol Jo clever Billy :D

I've never had two dogs so didn't know, but Mm's advice makes perfect sense :)
Diflower

Postby miasmum » 11 Nov 2013, 00:25

Two dogs is very interesting Di. Obviously having a Newfoundland you have a natural top dog size wise, but his relationship with the cockers was entirely different. He played with Rowlf but never slept with him, but he slept with H and never played with him.

I used to feed them separately and Dudley used to get bored with eating so would come in to see what H had in his dish. I learnt pretty quickly to leave them to it. H would stand back, his lips would curl, he would growl, but he would do nothing provided I didn't. The one time I shouted at Dudley, H saw that as his command to attack and he flew at him, because the pack leader had made it plain she wasn't happy with Dudley either. As soon as I shouted "NO" in a very deep voice H backed down. I never had a dog fight that didn't end the minute I shouted in my deep, top doggy voice.

Stairgates are fine once they learn that your ears go forwards when you put your head through, but they don't go backwards when you try to get out :lol: :lol:

I would add two bitches is a totally different ball game and not one I ever wished to play
miasmum

Postby Diflower » 11 Nov 2013, 00:34

Yes I can imagine it's interesting.
Minnie was only 4 months old when I had to have surgery; friend D offered to take her for a week, then see how I was, which was lovely. Also, she had Wickers (Mr W as we always said Minnie should call him :D ), the most beautiful choccy labrador, he'd have been 6.
We all thought it would be a good thing, Minnie was never a difficult puppy but we imagined Mr W would put her in her place...not a bit of it :roll: He adored her, and would let her do absolutely anything. One of their games was for Minnie to put her head in his mouth :shock: :lol:
They were always so lovely together though, totally besotted with each other :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 11 Nov 2013, 09:34

:lol: Jo that made me LOL - what a clever boy 8-)

Minnie is just the sweetest natured doggy Di :D

This is the thing, we've never had two dogs at the same time before either of us, which is why your advice is so gratefully received Shell! We've had Peps for five years, and both of us have had single dogs as children and as adults - but two is totally different! :? :)

We've already started feeding Pepper first, this morning. Mick is about to walk them both so she'll get her lead on first............ 8-) 8-)

I'll let you know how we get on, and thanks again everyone :)
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 11 Nov 2013, 10:09

Another one is when you go through doors, the humans go first, then Pepper then Fraggle. Do not let them pull you through on their leads
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 11 Nov 2013, 10:32

Brilliant! Thank you :D :D 8-)

It's all so obvious when you think about it , except you don't until someone points it out :oops: ;)
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 11 Nov 2013, 20:20

Di that sounds lovely, I love seeing two dogs play together. A bitch will nearly always be top dog. Most dogs are submissive to bitches. Bitches are rarely submissive to each other and that is where you get the problem. Dog fights are usually all noise (depending on the breed) bitch fights are really nasty. My sister in law, kept one of the puppies she bred and when she was a year old her and her mum fell out big time. She had to rehome the puppy in the end.
miasmum

Postby Diflower » 11 Nov 2013, 21:28

Sorry Kaz slightly off topic, but still ;)

D was down for the weekend, to her house by the sea.
The wonderful Mr W was sadly put to sleep just a couple of weeks ago, probably a good few weeks later than he should have been, but you know how it is...
Anyway, 2 years ago she got B, a most beautiful sleek black lab. Minnie hadn't been up there as much the last couple of years but had met B a few times.
We got to the car park on the front first, so were on the beach with Minnie when they arrived.
She said B was going mad, pulling her towards the beach, long before she could spot us - he had seen/smelt Minnie :D I'm sure you're right, Minnie wasn't that bothered but he was definitely trying to get in her good books :lol:

With Mr W she was quite different, it really was mutual adoration :D
I do remember though, once when D was here with Mr W longer than expected and said he'd be happy with Minnie's food. I did automatically make him sit and wait while she ate, then fed him - he was in her house ;)
Diflower

Postby meriad » 11 Nov 2013, 21:39

Kaz, it's been years since I've lived with dogs, and besides 5 years in Germany we've always had a minimum of two; Shell's advice is spot on. Both Pepper and Fraggle need to learn that you and Mick are top dog, and even then ideally only one of you should be top, the other a lowly second :lol: , followed by Pepper and then Fraggle

As for the soiling in the house, I would suspect it's scent marking - but as it's quite out of the ordinary and only recent it may also be stress. We've just had firework season which may have upset Fraggle more than you realise and that on top of the recent rehoming etc who knows. Have you thought of plugging in an Adaptil diffuser to see if that makes a difference?

As for the sleeping at night - why not get both dogs to sleep downstairs. You're home most of the time during the day. The dogs now have each other so it's not as though they are on their own. Give them a nice cozy bed / den in the kitchen or lounge somewhere and see how they get on. It will take a few days but hopefully it won't be long before they know where their 'lair' is; ie their safe sleep place

Best of luck - it's can be very frustrating and Fraggle is a lucky boy to have you as his owner; someone who is willing to work on this with him and not just give up. ((( hug ))) to you and fusses to the pooches
meriad

Postby miasmum » 11 Nov 2013, 22:38

Well said Ria, he is a lucky boy
miasmum

PreviousNext

Return to Pets