The leg saga continues

For those non-humans who share our home

The leg saga continues

Postby Weka » 14 Nov 2013, 09:44

Left George at the vets this morning for a checkup and a possible X-ray. I got the call about lunchtime. Something in his leg has let go. He has some instability in the joint again. He was xrayed bit it wasn't conclusive.

So I have a few options

A) redo the initial surgery again
B) remove the nylon ligaments and replace with disoloveable material. This will allow scar tissue to form etc which will provide the joint it's stability for evermore after that.
C)amputate
D)euthanise (don't panic, I'm not considering this option)

There is no option E of do nothing, as any movement now is damaging his cartilage and creating lots of damage in his knee joint.

We don't have to make a decision right away, and I would be interested in your input.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Re: The leg saga continues

Postby meriad » 14 Nov 2013, 12:03

I don't really know all that much about this but I would suspect that if the first operation wasn't a success a 2nd may not be either. Personally - and I'd do some more speaking to the vet about this - I'd probably go for option B with option C as a viable back-up; cats actually cope amazingly well with amputation of a limb.

And glad that option D is not being considered ;)
meriad

Postby debih » 14 Nov 2013, 14:28

I know nothing about it either but agree with Meri.

I know that when we were looking at the options for Millie's leg they said that they saw amputation as a last resort but definitely not in any negative sense as animals can get along very well with only 3 legs.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Kaz » 14 Nov 2013, 17:36

I agree about the three legged option, if it comes to that - there are loads of posts on Facebook about Tri-Pawed cats and dogs 8-)

Hope he will be ok xxxx
Kaz

Postby Weka » 16 Nov 2013, 09:29

He was moving around a lot better tonight, until he tried to make a run for it out of a window up high. :roll: :roll:
And now he's limping again. Hubby opened it, I told him to close it as I know George has jumped out it in the past, but he knew best apparently......

That was almost 2 hours ago and George keeps checking each door and window.

We are now wondering about another option. From what I understand, they want to do further operations because of the risk of arthritis as they think the original op has not retained stability in the joint. But we are leaning towards amputation, so we are now wondering, what would happen if we did nothing, and a few years down the track, if and when his knee is too sore, then we will amputate. Hopefully It may not even be necessary.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Return to Pets