What a difference 8 months makes!

For those non-humans who share our home

What a difference 8 months makes!

Postby debih » 15 Nov 2013, 22:08

My disappearing post!!! I posted this earlier in the wrong place and it accidentally got deleted so here it is again!

I was looking through some photos yesterday and came across some of Millie when she was just coming out of her lowest ebb.

I think these must have been taken in March as she was up on the bank which she hadn't done for a while - her walks had become very short and she had no energy. Delectable Dan had found out what the problem was and I was spoon feeding her at the time.

She was just starting to gain from her lowest weight - just under 9 kilos.

I took her out for her walk today and tried to get her in a similar shot - only problem was she is now so full of energy that she wouldn't stand still so the photos are blurry. She know weighs 15kg, which is the weight that Delectable Dan wanted to see her get up to. She was 17.5 kilos when it happened so I would like to get her up another kilo if possible.

She still looks thin but that is her natural look - she is a lurcher (whippet/collie cross) after all.

I had forgotten how bad she looked - the first photos made me cry when I saw them yesterday!

March (approx)

Taken this morning

The miracle bowl. If it wasn't for this bowl I think we would have had no option but to have her put to sleep. This enables her to lick her food rather than take big mouthfuls. The only other option was spoon feeding which was never going to work long term. Its still a laborious job feeding her - she needs at least 2 tins a day and as I have to smear small amounts around the bowl it takes 6 to 8 feeds per tin. I work on her having 2 tins on the days I am at work and 3 tins when I'm home (2 tins sustains her weight, 3 helps her gain).

It'll be a year this time next week. 22nd November - I remember the date so well as it was 2 days before Mick's birthday. :(
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: What a difference 8 months makes!

Postby Kaz » 15 Nov 2013, 22:19

Such a difference Debih, amazing!! :D :D :D
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 15 Nov 2013, 22:20

It's absolutely fantastic Debih, not just the weight but how happy and healthy Millie looks :D
Lol she has the same kind of long wavy tail as Minnie :D
I knew it was before Christmas but it's amazing it's a whole year isn't it.
Such a huge amount of work and nursing for you, and such a long way for both of you, you've done brilliantly :)
Diflower

Postby JoM » 15 Nov 2013, 22:21

She looks fantastic Debbie! :D
She's a lucky girl!

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 16 Nov 2013, 02:13

I thought I was going mad as I posted on this earlier. I said then and I will say now "she is beautiful, but I am convinced there is fox in there somewhere"
miasmum

Postby Weka » 16 Nov 2013, 09:37

Wow she looks so much better. That bowl really is amazing
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby Diflower » 16 Nov 2013, 10:32

miasmum wrote:I thought I was going mad as I posted on this earlier. I said then and I will say now "she is beautiful, but I am convinced there is fox in there somewhere"

No you weren't going mad Mm, it was me, I accidentally deleted it :oops:
Diflower

Postby Ally » 16 Nov 2013, 11:54

Oooh that first pic made me draw my breath in really sharp..she looks so thin!! :o

Looking lovely and healthy now. :D

And I cannot believe that accident was a year ago! :o

So glad she pulled through. x
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Aggers » 17 Nov 2013, 00:04

What a lovely dog, Debih.

You can't help but love them, can you?
Aggers

Postby meriad » 17 Nov 2013, 22:20

What strikes me more than anything is her expression; in the top photo's she looks tired and sad whereas in the other photo's there's so much more interest in her surroundings. I remember when all this started Debih; I cannot believe it's nearly a year already.

She's a beautiful dog and my, what a tail!!!!!! :D
meriad

Next

Return to Pets