Flea and worming treatments

For those non-humans who share our home

Flea and worming treatments

Postby JoM » 17 Dec 2013, 18:22

What do you all use, and how regularly do you do the treatments?

We've always used Advocate, a spot on which covers both but is prescription only so it means pootling off to the vets to get Billy weighed to ensure he's getting the correct dosage every 3 months, and it's around £40 every 3 months.

Any alternative recommendations?

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Re: Flea and worming treatments

Postby meriad » 17 Dec 2013, 21:44

Bearing in mind that a lot of the products change name depending on if it's for a cat or dog....

I'm really bad and don't treat as often as I should but my cats don't have fleas so I don't see the point of putting toxins on them when it's not really needed. The only two that get treated sort of regularly are Harry who I suspect may have a slight flea allergy (so preventative) and Abbie who every so often gets ear mites - I use Advocate for both.

I'm more concerned about worms because of what they eat (ie mice and birds) so in the past have used Profender on all of them, but again not as regularly as I should - probably only twice a year vs the four times it should be. I am going to give a go with Milbemax pills for the next worming session; the Profender is fantastic as it's a spot on but it can be quite messy.

Because whatever it is we are putting onto or feeding our pets is quite toxic / chemical I always buy my worming / flea treatment from the vet and the one thing I will NEVER EVER EVER do is buy a Bob Martin product - I have heard some horrendous stories regarding their stuff. Also, regular Frontline seems to have changed and a lot of people are saying that it's not working anymore. Frontline Combi however is meant to be very good.

And one other word of caution for cat owners, DO NO EVER use a dog product on a cat - even if the box says it's for small dogs. Cats cannot process one of the ingredients that is in dog treatments (cannot remember what it is) and it can and will kill a cat if you use a dog product on them
meriad

Postby Kaz » 17 Dec 2013, 22:42

Frontline spot on, monthly :)
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 18 Dec 2013, 00:36

I have only used a flea treatment once, which was last year before they went to the cattery. So here is another word of advice, always put it where the cat can't reach and believe me that is higher than you would think. I put Mia's on the back of her neck. She came in drooling, she had licked it. I had a complete panic, rang out of hours who said hold her under the tap and wash her mouth out and ring us back. She was fine but apparently because they are so toxic they are made to taste horrible so the minute a cat licks it, they start to drool and don't try and lick anymore
miasmum

Postby JoM » 18 Dec 2013, 01:16

Thanks everyone. Ria, a friend of mine used Bob Martin on her cat and it became terribly ill. The cat survived but the vet told her of some they'd treated after using it who hadn't been so lucky. She ran up quite a vet's bill, claimed for it back from Bob Martin and they reimbursed her without any argument. It's awful that it's still on the market.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby debih » 18 Dec 2013, 08:41

I use Frontline once a month, though not as regularly during the winter.

I don't know what I use to worm her - I get it from the vets. Though I don't do it as often as I should!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Gal » 18 Dec 2013, 14:20

miasmum wrote:I have only used a flea treatment once, which was last year before they went to the cattery. So here is another word of advice, always put it where the cat can't reach and believe me that is higher than you would think. I put Mia's on the back of her neck. She came in drooling, she had licked it. I had a complete panic, rang out of hours who said hold her under the tap and wash her mouth out and ring us back. She was fine but apparently because they are so toxic they are made to taste horrible so the minute a cat licks it, they start to drool and don't try and lick anymore

That happened with us in the summer with Smudge, he was crawling along the ground on his belly with drool coming out of his mouth, I was scared stiff! :o In the end I got him some flea tablets which I give him when necessary, and worm him on a continuous order from an online firm called Animed, they send me a Drontal tablet every three months :)
Gal

Postby cromwell » 20 Dec 2013, 13:27

meriad wrote:Abbie who every so often gets ear mites - I use Advocate for both.

Is this any good against ear mites Ria? I've had a look and it seems you need a prescription for it.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby meriad » 20 Dec 2013, 14:05

I get mine from the vet Cromwell, so yes it does need a prescription. I like the fact that it also covers most worms (except tape worm unfortunately) so it's a good all round product if you have to use one....

Personally I think it's worth the money
meriad

Postby cromwell » 21 Dec 2013, 13:17

Thanks Ria, I'll try and get some then.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Next

Return to Pets