Fraggle!

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: Fraggle!

Postby meriad » 24 Feb 2014, 11:22

Hmm, I was thinking along the lines of separation anxiety, but if you were both home then that theory goes out the window; unless you were both behind closed doors and he couldn't get to you. There will be a reason why he's doing what he's doing it's just a case of figuring out what it is :cry: :cry: :cry: So very frustrating

I know you've got pet insurance for him - contact the provider and see if they provide cover for a behaviourist then ask your vet for a referral
meriad

Postby Kaz » 24 Feb 2014, 19:22

That's a good idea, we've been mulling over the idea of a therapist, even jotted down a number 8-)

No he had full access to us Ria, he can get into the bedroom by just pushing the door even when it's shut, which I don't think it was......I could understand if we'd been out :roll: xx
Kaz

Postby meriad » 25 Feb 2014, 10:08

Kaz, I wonder if he's possibly bored? How clever is he?

Not sure how much they cost or how far it would be for you, but what about taking him for some dog training / agility classes and teaching him tricks to keep him busy?

Also are you still using the Adaptil? If yes, have a look to see if it's run out? Not quite the same, but I have a friend who has a very anxious cat and she can tell right away if the Feliway (Adaptil for cats) has run out
meriad

Postby Kaz » 25 Feb 2014, 21:51

Ria the Adaptil was the first thing I checked - it still has at least a week left in it :roll: That would have been good, as easily remedied ;)

Hmmm not sure really if he is more clever than Peps, he just seems like an average terrier to me - a hyperactive one, but not specially bright? He is very very needy, not surprising after his rotten start in life, but it does get exhausting, he never knows when to stop :oops: I think it is more for attention than boredom, but I could be way off beam........

Becky has said she'd like to do some dog training with him, when she comes home to live, taking him to classes or something, so that is a real possibility. I couldn't be in a room with lots of different breeds, my asthma would go off the scale :oops: :roll:
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 26 Feb 2014, 22:18

Feeling somewhat more refreshed today - having slept :P - and bringing a more positive viewpoint to the matter :oops: Mick and I were looking for the clicker this evening, the one we used to train Pepper 8-) We couldn't find it but think we'll buy another 8-) It had mixed results with Peps, she responds better to food treats, but we think Fraggs might do well with it :idea:
Kaz

Postby Lozzles » 26 Feb 2014, 23:44

Worth a try Kaz x
Lozzles

Postby Diflower » 27 Feb 2014, 00:26

Definitely :)
It sounds as though any kind of training regime would be a good idea, partly the attention he'd get, partly using his brain :)
Diflower

Postby KateLMead » 27 Feb 2014, 09:10

Kaz wrote:Feeling somewhat more refreshed today - having slept :P - and bringing a more positive viewpoint to the matter :oops: Mick and I were looking for the clicker this evening, the one we used to train Pepper 8-) We couldn't find it but think we'll buy another 8-) It had mixed results with Peps, she responds better to food treats, but we think Fraggs might do well with it :idea:

Ordered a clicker, not the chain from John Humphris in Sussex. Worth you looking them up.they are one of the biggest suppliers to establishments and guard dogs etc in UK.
This neck collar evidently is best on the market can be made smaller or bigger. I was worried as I feared it would hurt him, but according to Gaynor who was a great help in their store she said Oscar would feel a sharp nip when on his lead and attempting me to do the four minute mile in three seconds, I should not say anything like sit etc, and he will get the message. Cost £30. But worth it if it does the job. Good luck Kaz.
KateLMead

Postby Kaz » 27 Feb 2014, 09:18

No Kate, the clicker I mean is a little hand held device that trains dogs to respond to commands when you click it, it isn't a training collar.....I wouldn't use one of those......Are you sure Kate that is the right way to go with Oscar, choke chains and the collar you describe use punishment whereas a hand held clicker reinforces good behaviour and is encouraging xxxx

The clicker

Thanks for the good wishes :)

Thanks Loz and Di, I'll let you know how we get on :)
Kaz

Postby meriad » 27 Feb 2014, 10:13

Good luck with it Kaz - I really hope it does work.
meriad

Previous

Return to Pets