Oscar

For those non-humans who share our home

Oscar

Postby KateLMead » 27 Feb 2014, 08:55

I thought that he would be much improved, now He's had his bits removed.. No such luck!
I have become a gymnastic an acrobat
Darting here and there attempting to remove everything he fancies that remain in his locked jaws, when I am in his arm lock on my shoulders I have to wrench him over my head to be released from his grip. A Springer he is, he springs up on my grand piano, grabs the TV do dahs, and the telephone. Drags his blankets through to the sitting room in the mornings where he sits on his throne most of the day surveying "his domain" that is apart from when he goes on his ramble with his brother and Ruby GaGa Gusty's beautiful Rotty. My smart car looks like a wreck, my lovely suite is all but destroyed, he chewed a big hole in one of my lovely rugs.
I am continually informed by my daughter that "dogs reflect their owners"!! :o :o ??
KateLMead

Re: Oscar

Postby Diflower » 27 Feb 2014, 10:53

Kate I'm truly sorry, but you must remember how concerned a lot of us were when you said you'd got this puppy.
Nothing wrong with having another dog at your age, but a small/medium, older, rescue dog would have been perfect.

Everyone who gets a dog should think long and hard about what type of dog would suit them, and fit with their life and lifestyle.
You shouldn't really have taken on a puppy, and a Springer spaniel, of all things! They can be quite manic - as you've discovered - and no matter what you say, at your age you cannot possibly give him the amount of training and exercise he needs, and should have been getting from the day you took him in.
A puppy is exactly like having a new baby in the house, and I'm sure you wouldn't have dreamed you could manage a baby.

Yes all of this is harsh, but I'm concerned for both you and the dog. Apart from anything else, if he's pulling you so hard, and is so uncontrolled in the house, he can so easily cause you a serious injury.
I honestly think you should very seriously consider whether someone else would be a much better home for Oscar, before he gets any older and untrainable (((x)))

As for that collar you've ordered - makes my blood boil :evil: No dog needs one of those, and if they do then they shouldn't be in a normal home.
Both Jo and I have posted about fantastic leads, all you needed to do was ask, or even better still take the dog to a pet shop and ask them. They would be more than happy to advise you, and for you to try out various kinds in the shop.

If you really can't manage him enough to do that, then I'm afraid you have your answer as to the dog's future.
Diflower

Postby Ally » 27 Feb 2014, 12:20

I've never owned a dog Kate - but I do enjoy the pet board and reading all about your various pooches. :D

I remember way back when you first mentioned puppy Oscar and thinking 'blimey, you'll have your hands full.' :shock:

It probably would be terribly sad for you to have to let Oscar go to another home, but honestly Kate, it might be something you have to seriously consider before he does you - or anyone else an injury.

I'm only saying this out of genuine concern for you Kate. xxx
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 27 Feb 2014, 14:29

Oh goodness me Kate, I'm sorry but I can only agree with Di and Ally when they say that maybe it's getting to the point where you should perhaps consider letting someone have him who can give him the exercise that he needs, Springers are so full of energy and need to burn that off with some good runs through the day. My Billy, although not a Springer, needs lots of exercise - he's just 2 - and looking at the app on my phone I walked over 6 miles with him yesterday, spread over 3 walks, and he'd have gone on for longer if we'd had time. He needs to be let off the lead and just allowed to run, and that's what Oscar needs too.
He's probably misbehaving in the house through boredom. How old is he? I'd have thought he'd be through that initial chew everything in sight stage by now :?

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby KateLMead » 27 Feb 2014, 14:57

He was a year old in Dec. he has his cuddles, his trip to the forest every day where he his brother and Ruby race around
After the sticks we throw for them.. He is in no way neglected self willed yes, grabs everything in sight has to be rewarded
When he give it up. A friend is coming at 2.30 to give him an hours training, she is a professional dog handler.
KateLMead

Postby Kaz » 27 Feb 2014, 16:17

Honestly Kate I don't think anyone is saying he is neglected - maybe just too active for you perhaps? I hope the dog trainer can help :)

xx
Kaz

Postby Ally » 27 Feb 2014, 16:42

Kaz wrote:Honestly Kate I don't think anyone is saying he is neglected - maybe just too active for you perhaps? I hope the dog trainer can help :)

xx

Absolutely Kate - I didn't think for one second Oscar was being neglected, just that he might be a bit too much of a handful for you. xx
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 27 Feb 2014, 16:45

Of course he's not neglected Kate :) x
Diflower

Postby Lozzles » 27 Feb 2014, 20:30

Kate wrote:when I am in his arm lock on my shoulders I have to wrench him over my head to be released from his grip.

Kate, I'm actually worried you are going to be hurt one of these days. Are you sure you are up to another 12 years or so of this? I know Oscar has a loving and caring home with you, but there are obviously difficulties too :(
Lozzles

Return to Pets