Some vibes please

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: Some vibes please

Postby JoM » 23 Jun 2014, 14:02

Sorry I'm late to this Shell but vibes are coming from me - hope he's still doing better xx

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 27 Jun 2014, 19:51

Thank you all. They now think he has two problems. They think his leg is a torn ligament which is easily sorted. But they are not sure what the problem with his neck is, so he had an MRI today

How is your son's dog PP?
miasmum

Postby Paddypix » 27 Jun 2014, 20:54

I hope the MRI results show something that is easily fixed Shell. The torn ligament as you say is easily sorted. He sounds to be getting along quite well so far doesn't he, and I hope it stays that way.

Charlie the Shih Tzu is not much further on I'm afraid. His back end is giving trouble, but X-rays have shown nothing wrong there. His spine and hips are perfect. Bloods were sent away and came back all clear so whatever is wrong is likely to be neurological, or possibly a tumour in his brain although you'd think the X-rays would show if that was the case. He's having an MRI on Tuesday. He is already known to have epilepsy and is on lifetime meds for that.
Paddypix

Postby miasmum » 27 Jun 2014, 23:03

Poor little chap :(
miasmum

Postby Paddypix » 24 Jul 2014, 23:56

I'm afraid the latest on Charlie the little Shih Tzu is not good. He had to be put to sleep yesterday and my son and daughter-in-law are very sad but realise that they had no alternative. He has been getting progressively worse. They had discovered something wrong with his liver and a scan showed a shunt which apparently meant he had a congenital abnormality in his liver - an extra vein which was diverting blood. It could possibly have been fixed by an operation but it was touch and go whether it would work. Added to that was the degenerative brain condition which was a completely separate issue, and when he went to the vet yesterday morning for them to assess whether or not to do the operation, the vet noticed a severe deterioration in his brain function since he last saw him just a week ago, and advised them that the best thing for Charlie was to let him go. The night before last he had a very severe seizure in the middle of the night and bit my son Andrew on the stomach, quite badly, and he has been growling at visitors, and barking at nothing as if he was seeing hallucinations which apparently is a recognised symptom of his condition. The biting was a worry as it could have been one of the children, or one of their friends.

They were half prepared for the worst when he went to the vet this morning as they were going to put him to sleep while he was under the anaesthetic for the operation if what they found was worse than they thought, but the vet phoned my daughter-in-law to say that he didn't advise putting him through the traumea of the operation, and she went up to sign the forms and hold Charlie while they gave him the jab. It only took a quarter of what they would normally have used so he was far down as it was.

It's just awful as he was such a lovely little character, full of fun and so friendly until this illness took over. He was not quite three years old and the vet really felt that they had done as much as they could and there was no alternative.
Paddypix

Postby Kaz » 25 Jul 2014, 15:00

Oh how completely and utterly heartbreaking :( Paddy I am so very sorry, I well remember the chat we had about Charlie in Birmingham last month :( :(

Your son and DIL have done by far the kindest thing for Charlie that they possibly could have.....................I am truly ever so sorry :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 25 Jul 2014, 21:16

Truly awful PP, so very sad (((x)))
Diflower

Postby meriad » 26 Jul 2014, 22:12

I am so sorry PP - that really is sad; only 3 years old :cry:

RIP Sweet little Charlie, play hard at the bridge
meriad

Postby miasmum » 27 Jul 2014, 14:35

Run free little Charlie, far far too young to go :cry:
miasmum

Postby Paddypix » 30 Jul 2014, 14:33

Thanks everyone. They miss him terribly, but my son is the worst. Charlie was very much his dog and he adored him. The latest is that my dil and the two girls have decided to get a kitten. My son is very much against it as he doesn't think Charlie can be replaced and of course he's right, but he's a big softie and loves my two kittens so I know he will accept this little one. I'm not at all sure it's a good idea so soon, but they live in an apartment and a cat is a much more suitable pet for living indoors.

How is little Tito getting on now Shell? I hope he's better.
Paddypix

PreviousNext

Return to Pets