Can anyone help?

For those non-humans who share our home

Can anyone help?

Postby miasmum » 14 Sep 2014, 16:21

My stepsister has a rescue greyhound Darcy. She is lovely. Typical Greyhound, lazes on her bed all day, runs like the wind when they let her off the lead, for all about 10 mins, then home and zonked out on her bed.

The problem is a few months ago she killed a bird. The bird was in the garden, Darcy spotted it, the bird took off and Darcy leapt into the air and caught it. That was bad enough, but last weekend she killed a cat. It sauntered across the garden, Darcy spotted it from the kitchen and whoosh, caught it. My stepsister is devastated. They got the badly injured cat off Darcy, and took it to the vets, but it had to be put to sleep. It was microchipped and the vet said he would tell the owners it was found injured and brought in. He said he would elude to a car as Caroline was worried about the backlash as the owners live behind them. The vet said she shouldn't blame herself, but she still feels awful.

She is now talking about getting rid of Darcy. I suggested muzzling her but she said how can she do that when the kitchen door is open all day? How will she eat and drink? Plus she says its not fair to muzzle her in her own garden.

Chris her partner adores Darcy and doesn't want her to go, so she is in last chance saloon.

Anyone got any suggestions at all?
miasmum

Re: Can anyone help?

Postby Kaz » 14 Sep 2014, 20:18

Oh gosh how awful :shock: :( I do feel sorry for the owners of the cat but really as a greyhound, bred to chase small furry creatures, she was doing what comes naturally :? A couple of cats that have found their way into our garden have had to move sharpish when P and F have gone ballistic for them :o

I'm not sure what to suggest, other than it seems rather harsh to get rid of her, for just being a dog :? :(
Kaz

Postby debih » 14 Sep 2014, 20:46

I agree with Kaz. She's a greyhound - it's what they do.

I think they should muzzle her when they are out (I actually think all greyhounds should be muzzled when out - my friends little terrier had it's throat practically ripped out by a greyhound who yanked the leash from it's owners hands. Fortunately Archie survived) but anything that comes into the garden will be classed as fair game to the dog.

I suppose they just need to try and cat proof the garden to keep them out. It does seem unfair to get rid of the dog for doing what greyhounds do.

Did they not understand the risks of small animals around their dog before they got her MM? That was what put us off greyhounds and onto Lurchers - that risk of them chasing and attacking things. Millie is bad enough for chasing things but fortunately the Collie in her gives her the sense to fear cats not chase them.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby miasmum » 14 Sep 2014, 21:47

They did Debih, her partner had a rescue greyhound before. They would never have a small dog or a cat themselves, but what can you do about your neighbours?

I think they will be muzzling her when out from now on
miasmum

Postby Gal » 14 Sep 2014, 22:17

We have a cat and two greyhounds - we keep them apart as much as we can....no cats come into our garden apart from Smudge of course, but then our dogs are almost always in the kennel or pen, and when they're not, they are supervised at all times.

Tip used to always be muzzled, but since his neuter op, he is hardly ever these days, even when out for walks. It's more likely other dogs go for ours than the other way around. I am surprised Darcy caught the bird - greys are such gentle natured dogs, most ours have ever gone for are flies :)

Try muzzling Darcy and see how things go. Proper greyhound muzzles should pose no problems for drinking, and can be removed when feeding.
Gal

Postby miasmum » 14 Sep 2014, 23:12

Caroline said the bird was amazing, she just leapt up in the air and caught it.

They have three dogs, Bron a collie/lab and Ellie a labradoodle and Darcy.

When they are out Darcy just chases Ellie she isn't interested in anything else.

Darcy is a complete thief. She steals food from anywhere. Last time I was there she came running out with a french stick in her mouth she had managed to filch off the work top
miasmum

Postby Gal » 15 Sep 2014, 08:44

Been thinking about this, and I think the vet's reaction is wrong. Imagine if the cat was yours? How would you feel if the vet lied to you as to why they had to put your beloved pet to sleep? I do understand your SS dilemma, but I'm sorry, as a cat lover I'd want to know the truth about how/why my pet died.

Smudge is always leaving baby voles, small birds and mice either dead or half eaten on the garden path - as you say, it's what animals do - but at least they aren't someone's pet :(

I am quite shocked tbh.
Gal

Postby miasmum » 15 Sep 2014, 08:54

He said he would tell them she was found injured and brought in. If they asked he would say either another animal or a road traffic accident. She died of internal injuries there wasn't a mark on her, therefore a road traffic accident would probably be what they believed.

I agree with him Gal. My stepsister was terrified the neighbours would come round screaming abuse at her and insisting Darcy be put to sleep. As the vet said she was in her own garden, doing what comes naturally, but the cat owners weren't likely to see it that way.

You find a cat dead on the road, you presume it died in a RTA but you don't actually know do you? Majority the cat owners don't know exactly how their pet died do they, thats the nature of cats sadly
miasmum

Postby meriad » 15 Sep 2014, 15:47

As a cat owner I'd obviously be very devastated should one of mine be killed regardless of circumstances. But I can also honestly say that I would not blame a dog owner if the dog killed in it's own garden; esp a greyhound that is just doing what it's been taught to do. It's one of the reasons I cat proofed my garden - Harry doesn't jump (his breed just doesn't - they climb) and one of the neighbours have a working spaniel; and quite a few others have dogs in their gardens. If Harry got into a garden with a dog there is a hope in hell he'd get out in one piece. So I took it upon myself to make sure Harry stayed safe and have confined him and subsequently Ava and Henry as well. And going forwards any future feline additions will be confined to garden and house.

I'm quite surprised that the cat actually was in the garden; given they have three dogs. Most cats know what gardens to avoid.

RIP sweet little cat but in this situation I don't think the dog can be blamed.
meriad

Return to Pets