Vets

For those non-humans who share our home

Vets

Postby Gal » 14 Nov 2014, 18:04

Grrrr!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Smudge was there this morning for his booster jab and I asked about alternative worming meds as I currently give him 1 and a half Drontal every three months, but let's just say this isn't enough :(

I was informed there is a new treatment called Broadline, which is a solution to be applied to the back of the neck as opposed to a tablet. I don't really like this procedure as Smudge tries to lick it off and gets quite distressed if he does, it must have a vile taste :| Anyway the vet performed it this time, it comes in 3 or 6 month doses and you apply it once a month.

Got to the counter to pay - £66!!!! :shock: Three months is nearly £30 and the jabs must have been a bit more. Problem is I need a prescription for this treatment (of course I do!!! :roll: ) and the frequency of it works out at about a tenner a month if I buy at the vets.

Vets really are a complete rip off :evil: :evil: :evil:
Gal

Re: Vets

Postby Kaz » 14 Nov 2014, 18:07

I think you can use the prescriptions online to save money.
Kaz

Postby Gal » 14 Nov 2014, 18:13

You can....I did when I had to have Tinker on permanent Fortikor for his kidney issue :(

I'll wait and see how Smudge gets on with this solution before doing so though....I'm not 100% happy to use it as I can see his fur is still wet/greasy on his head where she applied it and I can imagine he's had a good go at getting it off for himself while he was in his carrier! :roll: It's a struggle getting a tablet down him but I would rather that than this...if a stronger dose would be effective....

I rather suspect, with my cynical hat on, that as this is a new product, the vets will be pushing it to see how it does for the company :roll:
Gal

Postby Kaz » 14 Nov 2014, 18:43

Oh yes, I remember poor little Tinks and his kidney probs :(

You could well be right, and they are trying to push this :?

Cats are so good at licking themselves, and reaching odd places, that I would have reckoned tablets were the better option. My dogs get the drops on the back of the neck, but then they pay no attention to it and certainly couldn't reach it! :roll: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Gal » 14 Nov 2014, 18:49

He's so flat just now bless him, done nothing but sleep since I brought him home....apart from when he was following me around and I had a lot of h/w to do :( No doubt the side effects of his jab (I hope!) but I hope it gets back to normal soon :(
Gal

Postby Kaz » 14 Nov 2014, 19:49

(((((Smudge)))))) Honestly pets can be such a worry xxxx
Kaz

Postby meriad » 17 Nov 2014, 15:25

Gal wrote:He's so flat just now bless him, done nothing but sleep since I brought him home....apart from when he was following me around and I had a lot of h/w to do :( No doubt the side effects of his jab (I hope!) but I hope it gets back to normal soon :(

sorry only just seen this. How was he over the weekend?

As for the Broadline I suspect it will be a very popular product as it's the only spot-on product that controls both fleas and tape worm; so basically it works out the same pricing (if not cheaper) than if you bought a separate flea and worming treatments. As you say getting a pill down most cats is a struggle so a lot of people will very welcome this one spot on treatments. Admittedly, personally I'm not overly fond of this chemical overload but I do realise that needs must at times. With my lot my main concern is the worming as they hunt (and eat); only two have regular flea treatment - the others don't
meriad

Postby Gal » 17 Nov 2014, 19:45

Honestly Meri I would rather give him tablets as I dislike putting fluid on his fur, it runs off and makes his fur sticky and wet...plus the only treatment necessary for him for fleas is a collar which we change regularly....

I was chatting to another cat owner who said she gives her pet Drontal as he needs it - I would do the same, as it is cheap enough to buy and you don't need a prescription, but I thought you had to give it by weight every three months :?:

Confused.

ETA Oh he was fine after a few hours sleep...eating as normal again almost right away and full of beans :roll: :lol:
Gal

Postby meriad » 18 Nov 2014, 12:27

Sorry Gal; but to be honest I wouldn't touch a flea collar if that was the only product available on the market. Not only are they not safety collars but I've heard so many horror stories of bad reactions to them. The only use for a flea collar is when it's cut in half and then put into the vacuum bag to stop any flea eggs hatching if you have a flea problem. ;) x

Thankfully I've never had a problem with fleas with my lot. Abbie suffers with ear mites so she gets a regular dose of Advocate for just that reason and Harry we suspect may have a underlying flea allergy (from before I got him and he now has ongoing issues due to it) so as a precaution I treat him every month / 6 weeks; but the rest of the gang I don't really worry about. I just worm them three times a year; spring, summer and autumn. They don't hunt / catch much in the the winter so I don't worry about this time of year.
meriad

Postby Gal » 18 Nov 2014, 14:20

I've never had a problem with flea collars in any of the cats we have had so I will continue to use that for purpose.

It's really just the wormign situation...
Gal

Next

Return to Pets