Question for all you doggie owners out there

For those non-humans who share our home

Question for all you doggie owners out there

Postby meriad » 27 Nov 2014, 17:12

My boss is about to get two puppies... two litter sisters. Now all the dogs we've ever had when I was growing up (and there have been a fair few) we've always had the bitches spayed before their first season. However a dog trainer I've spoken to has said that he should let them come into season once for health reasons because they need to mature and develop properly. Really?

I know that with cats there is a hope in hell I'd ever let a female come into season as it can actually be very detrimental to their health. And I'd have thought it not much difference with dogs, esp as they're going to be pets and not used for breeding.

What are your views on this?
meriad

Re: Question for all you doggie owners out there

Postby miasmum » 27 Nov 2014, 19:00

Not sure about the spaying to be honest, never had bitches, but I would be more concerned about two litter sisters.

In my day most breeders wouldn't sell litter mates, especially bitches. Wondered if it had changed and found this which is exactly what I was told

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/choosing/s ... pies.shtml
miasmum

Postby debih » 27 Nov 2014, 19:27

We were told by the vet to let Millie have her first season and then get her spayed approx half way between that one and the next.

I think it's common place now.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Diflower » 27 Nov 2014, 19:53

We were told the same as Debih. From memory there's a cancer risk when it's done earlier, although other vets apparently say it's ok.
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 27 Nov 2014, 20:19

We were told the opposite by our vet Di, that spaying before the first season protects from the female type cancers, especially in small breeds. Pepper was done before her first season.

TBH I think it's something the vets are pretty divided so, so you have to make your own decision ;)
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 27 Nov 2014, 20:22

Pepper still has her silky 'baby' coat as she was spayed young, that's about the only side effect we've noticed ;)
Kaz

Postby meriad » 27 Nov 2014, 21:01

Thanks all.

Shell, in all honesty I don't think my boss should have gotten one, never mind two puppies - be they from the same litter or not. If anything I think he should have gone to Battersea and adopted two older rescues. Make no mistake he loves dogs and is spending a small fortune on these two pups; if money can buy it he will do so without blinking an eye - but he's single and spends a lot of evenings out the house. Admittedly, he's employed a full time housekeeper (8 hours a day) just for the dogs (and to keep house in between obviously) but the way I see it the dogs will see her more as the 'master' than him. He and the housekeeper have an agreement that if he's away the dogs to go hers or she stays at his overnight etc... so they will be looked after; but by her...

But that's his problems... I've voiced my concerns and can't push it any further without risking him getting really pee'd off and me possibly losing my job.

I was just curious about what people thought about the spaying bit; again it's ultimately his decision. But at least I can - should he ask - give some opinion

sigh... there really are times when I intensely dislike my job
meriad

Return to Pets