Mia's weight

For those non-humans who share our home

Re: Mia's weight

Postby meriad » 21 Apr 2015, 14:01

Shell, when my Molly got older she also lost lots of weight; esp round the back end. Admittedly she didn't eat vast amounts but in her prime she was quite a chunky cat but at the end she was only 2.1kg so really nothing but skin and bones

How much weight loss are we talking about by the way?

Also, as a matter of interest when was the last time the vet ran some senior cat bloods on her to check that everything is working as it should? If it hasn't been too long ago (ie within the last year) and all is fine then I wouldn't worry about it; it's normal for older cats to lose weight and if she's happy and healthy otherwise then just enjoy her.

What food is she on?
meriad

Postby manxie » 21 Apr 2015, 16:53

We are in the same boat Miasmum........Our manx cat Cutie has been the same for about 6 weeks and now incontinent+losing blood in her water too, deffo thinner I am the one who pets her and holds her the most so feel the difference in her body and bones etc. She even sleeps either on me or the bed all night we have had to put a plastic sheet on then a towel on me and the bed as she is 18 years old next week and has slept with me all her life so I couldn't stop her now if I even wanted to, so I put olabus oil on the towel by my face cos she sure stinks poor girl.

Manxies rarely live past about 10 as a rule cos they have inherent genes in the strain, obvious one is the lack of tail they also tend to suffer kidney problems or failure we lost Echo at just 3 to kidney failure she was a manxie too.

Cutie is also off her food even treat foods she usually wolfs down are sniffed at a lick here and there and left, it is so sad to see.

This is the cat who when young used to go down the beach (200 feet from the house) with me and 2 alsations and often on her own, I was down digging worms years ago and about 1 mile up the beach and who comes trotting up....Cutie crying for me to come home she would walk off a bit towards the house then sit and wait for me to catch up, I think she should have been a dog lol

Sadly I am trying to get used to it being time for her with us, I don't want that but have to be realistic and I don't want her in pain at all.

Manxie
manxie

Postby miasmum » 21 Apr 2015, 20:59

Oh Manxie, poor little Cutie, I am sorry to hear that. Just love her for as long as you can xxx

Ria she has her kidney bloods and urine done every 3 months. They don't think it is her thyroid as she doesn't look like a thyroid cat and her thyroid feels normal.

She has eaten today as she had Sheba, but other days she just picks at her food.

She weighed 3.75kg on 27.3.15 and 3.55kg on 17.04.15
miasmum

Postby meriad » 21 Apr 2015, 21:56

Oh Manxie, I am sorry - it's horrid when that time comes isn't it. But 18 for a cat that usually only reaches about 10 is a testament of your love and dedication to her and when the time does come (and I do hope it's not for a bit yet) then you will do what is right for her.

Shell, I didn't think it would be a thyroid issue given what you said about her fur but it was worth asking ;) . And given that you're doing the bloods as often as you are and they obviously aren't showing up much cause for concern I would put her weight loss down to old age.

fusses to your respective girls
meriad

Postby miasmum » 21 Apr 2015, 22:48

She has eaten all her food today Ria, but that is because it is Sheba and extremely bad for her :roll: :roll:
miasmum

Postby meriad » 22 Apr 2015, 13:27

miasmum wrote:She has eaten all her food today Ria, but that is because it is Sheba and extremely bad for her :roll: :roll:

yup,sounds typical cat (any being really) :lol:
meriad

Previous

Return to Pets