Postby Ally » 31 Jan 2013, 10:39

Poor little Minnie. :(

(((((Di)))))
Ally
Site Admin

Re: Millie, Minnie and Candy

Postby JoM » 31 Jan 2013, 12:57

Oh Di, what a worry :( Poor Minnie
I hope that it's something that can be easily sorted by the vet (((((Di)))))

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby shazsha » 31 Jan 2013, 22:24

Debi, I'm so glad to hear that Millie is doing so much better-I had a smile on my face just reading about her wanting to eat so much and jumping around :)

Poor Minnie looks so very sorry for herself in that photo Di-you can actually see she is off colour, can't you?

Candy has, overall, been doing quite well on a day to day basis. She still eats enormous amounts of food though she did have one day during the week when I thought she was going into a hypo again. I managed to get her to eat some roast ham and she slowly came back to normal.
I had her at the vet today and they have prescribed her a different insulin. Although she does need insulin she is very susceptible to it and they are finding it hard to get her regulated. this new insulin is more slow release and she is to use it for 10 days and then go back to the vet to see how she is doing.
The vet says Candy is one of the most difficult cats she has treated for diabetes and seems determined to "crack the insulin problem" and regulate it.
She also told me to change her diet. Apparently most commercial cat foods are high in carbs and cats find them hard to metabolise. She's said to me to check out high protein/low carb foods and to try this with her. She's hoping this diet will help. I've read a bit about it tonight and many people online are saying that this is best for cats-in lots of cases of cats with diabetes this diet has worked so well they can come off the insulin. Whether this would work with Candy is unknown because they suspect the pancreas isn't functioning properly owing to possible tumour.
So I'm off to look at different cat foods tomorrow though I'm also wondering whether to try things like chicken instead of canned food but I'm not sure if this would have all the nutrients she will need(another question to add to my list of things to ask the vet).
If any of you have/do feed your cats higher protein/lower carb food I'd be grateful for some tips.
After the state Candy was in last week I can hardly believe she is still here but I'm so happy she is!
shazsha

Postby Kaz » 31 Jan 2013, 22:41

That's good news Shaz, and I hope you can get some answers with her food that will help her stay well xxx
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 31 Jan 2013, 23:02

shazsha wrote:Poor Minnie looks so very sorry for herself in that photo Di-you can actually see she is off colour, can't you?

Yes you can Shaz, and today looked even worse :cry: All we can do is hope very hard that the drugs work, I can't bear to think of her actually feeling ill, that's not right for a pet, is it.

Very pleased to hear about Candy :) It makes complete sense that if most commercial cat food is high carb then it wouldn't be right for a diabetic cat, but I'm pretty sure that cats do need more than just things like chicken and/or fish.
There must be foods out there that would be suitable aren't there? I would hope so, and also hope that they agree with Candy, it's really frustrating when you know the right food would help, if only you knew what the right food was :?
If you have an actual pet shop anywhere near, the staff are often very knowledgeable.
Good luck
x
Diflower

Previous

Return to Pets