Struggling to get Mia to eat

For those non-humans who share our home

Struggling to get Mia to eat

Postby miasmum » 22 Aug 2015, 00:11

Mia has a diagnosis of kidney disease. She has her bloods and urine tested every 3 months and they are always no cause for concern, in fact last time they were slightly improved

However, they were worried about her weight, as she was losing weight. We got her to stabilise and I think until the last few weeks she has been steady. For months and months I have been struggling to get her to eat. I buy every pouch of senior food I can find, she sniffs it, licks the jelly or gravy off and that is it. She will sometimes eat a bit of Sheba or Gourmet Perle.

She has still been eating some dry food, but I have noticed I havent had to top that up as much over the last few days.

I have tried warming it, adding some boiled water. She will eat a few pieces of ham though and she has eaten some Whiskers that I got free. Not senior just ordinary Whiskers, so I mixed her kidney powder in it.

Not sure if I should just get her to eat something even if its not good for her now?

I have made her a vets appointment for next Friday but I am loathe to have her messed about with or even medicated. She has her kidney tablets and she hates having them.
miasmum

Re: Struggling to get Mia to eat

Postby Ally » 23 Aug 2015, 06:17

I'm sorry I can't help with any advice MM (never had cats.)

I'm sure someone will be along to offer some suggestions and perhaps ease your mind about Mia.

(((((MM))))) xxx
Ally
Site Admin

Postby meriad » 23 Aug 2015, 13:05

Shell, personally I'd feed her whatever she will eat.... food not ideal for her is better than no food at all.

Both Molly and Jasper wouldn't touch any of the foods that were better for them / their kidneys and most definitely wouldn't touch anything with binders in it. I spoke to my vet and he also agreed that any food is better than no food

Is Mia on Fortekor? If yes, does she like the webbox stick treats? Mine all prefer the sainsbury own treat stick and they are softer than Webbox and perfect for squishing around the Fortekor - just break it into little pieces and give her two plain ones, then the medicated one and then two plain again. Or the Lick-e-lix little sachet / tube things - again something to mix the meds into if they're powder; she may well like those?

But in all honestly - she's not the youngest cat, so give her whatever she'll eat. I'm sure you'd rather she have a happy few years (and less stress for you) that a longer miserable life?

Fusses to her
meriad

Postby Gal » 23 Aug 2015, 15:36

Absolutely what Meri says - Tinker had kidney probs and was on Fortekor but he loved them so giving them was no problem....mind you he was just a baby compared to Mia :| ....some tuna might work, or sardines, anything that has a strong smell to tempt her appetite.

Hope she'll have something soon xx
Gal

Postby Kaz » 23 Aug 2015, 18:02

I'm sorry not to be able to help Shell, my mum always had cats but their welfare was never my responsibility so I don't have any advice. I do have to say though that I agree with Ria and Gal, I think if it was one of my dogs I'd be letting them eat whatever tempted them and kept them happy (((((((((((((((x)))))))))))))))
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 23 Aug 2015, 22:13

I have got home after a night away and my mother in law fed her, she has not touched a thing.

She wouldn't even touch her Sheba when I opened it. I found a tin of Critical Care left over from Mowgli and she has eaten a little bit of that, but I would imagine it is really bad for her. She has also had a small piece of ham.

She is on Benefortin and I put a small amount of Ipakatine in her food. I have tried so hard to stick to the right food, as the vets drummed it in to me that I should, wish I had just got her to eat anything now to be honest

I know this sounds really awful, but I just don't have the energy to be worrying about her, and stressing about trying to get her to eat. I have so much on my plate at present. I have made her an appointment at the vets for Friday. Tomorrow I am at work, Tuesday we have the personal health budget people coming and I have my mammogram, Weds we are in London for Luke's pre-op assessment and Thursday I am at work. I am worried what I am going to do with her whilst we are away for 5 days, and then for the 7-10 days Luke is in hospital. Tim's mum doesn't have time to be trying different foods, warming them up, popping them in the microwave. So I suppose I will have to try and find a cattery. But at 9.50 per day that is going to work out so expensive, especially as we already have accommodation to pay for in London and I don't know how she will cope with a cattery at 14 and a half.
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 24 Aug 2015, 08:38

What a worry, and on top of Luke's op as well :( I can quite understand you feeling the way you do Shell. I wish I had something to suggest, that would help (((((((((((((((((x))))))))))))))))))))
Kaz

Postby Gal » 24 Aug 2015, 08:42

Oh MM such a lot going on for you atm! :( I hope Mia picks up v soon, all you can do is try with her until you go away xx
Gal

Postby Weka » 24 Aug 2015, 10:13

The right answer will come shell, in the meantime, have a hug.

If I lived there, I'd offer to look after her, but my best suggestion is does the vets have a hospital/cattery care? With the circumstances I think it's worth the money to pay someone else to worry.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Return to Pets