Pet Insurance

For those non-humans who share our home

Pet Insurance

Postby miasmum » 09 Sep 2015, 21:21

I have just got Mia's insurance renewal and the monthly premium is increasing from £36 to £57 :shock: :shock:

I really can't afford that and I am wondering whether I should cancel it now. What do you all think?
miasmum

Re: Pet Insurance

Postby TheOstrich » 09 Sep 2015, 21:53

It's a huge amount of money, that, nearly £700 a year :shock: , but if it was me, I think I'd bite the bullet and pay it, if I could. Can you get cheaper cover elsewhere?

We had Petplan insurance for our dog Sammy, and in the latter stages, we made quite a few claims for reimbursement of vet fees - more than enough to justify the insurance premiums we paid ...
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 10 Sep 2015, 08:36

I don't know Shell. I suppose the bottom line is, with Mia's health being so uncertain, can you afford her treatment without it? I'm not sure what I would do in your shoes :?
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 10 Sep 2015, 19:37

Os, I can just imagine ringing round looking for cheaper cover. Er yes, she is 14.5 years, she has a heart condition, kidney disease and a terminal diagnosis of liver cancer, but if you could do it nice and cheap I'd be grateful :lol: :lol:

I have cancelled it. I rang the vets and Mia's medication adds up to just under £30 per month. She will not be having any more investigations, blood tests or anything, so Kim said cancel it
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 10 Sep 2015, 20:02

(((((((x)))))))
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Sep 2015, 20:44

Kaz wrote:(((((((x)))))))

+ 1
TheOstrich

Postby meriad » 14 Sep 2015, 13:40

Sorry a bit late to this...

In all honesty Shell - even £37 is a steep price to be paying. No way that I could afford that for my gang. As it is they're all at £20 each so it's a whack of money - but they're young and healthy so I just can't risk not having it. Jamie and Abbie turn 10 next year and I suspect I'll be hit with a fair increase on them then.

But should the time come when I had to make the decision whether to continue with the insurance or not; esp given the circumstances - I would be doing exactly what you did

((hug)) and fusses to Mia x
meriad

Postby Aggers » 14 Sep 2015, 16:11

I can understand your dilemma, but I know what I would do in the circumstances.

Taking into account Mia's age and health, one can understand why the insurance premium is so high.
and I think you are right not to proceed with renewing it. She has had a good life with you, I'm sure,
but considering all the health problems she now has to live with, perhaps you may soon have to face
the decision we had to make for our beloved Prince - not for monetary reasons, but as an expression
of your love and concern for her.

Loving vibes coming your way.

(((XXX)))
Aggers

Postby miasmum » 14 Sep 2015, 20:18

Thank you both and yes Aggers I know she is on borrowed time, but as long as she is happy and still Mia that is all that matters.

I am going to pay £30 into an account, that I already pay £15 in so £45 per month will pay for her meds and leave some spare for any unexpected extras

xxx
miasmum

Return to Pets