Painting radiators

For our homes and gardens

Painting radiators

Postby debih » 04 May 2013, 18:55

I have never, ever been successful at painting radiators. They look fine for a year or so and then the paint all peels off.

I have tried gloss, emulsion, proper radiator paint and even some of the spray paint stuff but still they peel.

We have the old fashioned style radiators that need to be painted (not the lovely old, old fashioned ones but the ones with the grooves going downwards without the grill thing on top).

As I am about to start decorating the dining room I really would like to get it right for once so any top tips on painting a radiator so the paint won't flake off by the end of next year!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Painting radiators

Postby Diflower » 04 May 2013, 21:39

I've had the same problem Debih and keep hoping no-one will notice they're looking a bit (okay very) shabby!
Diflower

Postby Osc » 04 May 2013, 21:45

Mr. Osc has always undercoated and then glossed ours and they look fine. You can't paint the more modern ones though, we have an enamel one in the living room which has gone sort of yellow now, and the newer one in the bathroom is one of the ones with a grill on the top.
Osc

Postby Aggers » 04 May 2013, 23:02

I have always used proper radiator paint, and never had any trouble. It may depend on what sort of paint is
underneath it.
Aggers

Postby Diflower » 04 May 2013, 23:59

I think you're right Aggers.
At my flat it was fine, I used radiator paint with no problems. But here, we know from experience that the previous owner was not terribly practical/sensible so there's not much chance he used the proper stuff.
Probably then they need stripping or something.
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 22 May 2013, 17:05

Have you thought of using a radiator cover? Or would that not work on your kind of rad?
Kaz

Return to Homes and Gardens