We are thinking HOUSE MOVE THREAD

For our homes and gardens

Re: We are thinking HOUSE MOVE THREAD

Postby Kaz » 09 Aug 2024, 19:23

Yes, it's obviously designed for people who want a kitchen cum family room. A young family, I reckon, and from what you've said not at all suitable for you and John?

Personally when we move I only want 2/3, but a bigger garden :) My friend Emma's house would be perfect for me - 3 beds, separate living room and dining room, and a conservatory coming straight off the kitchen without a door in between. 80ft garden, mostly lawn and patio - wonder if she fancies a swap! :idea: :?: :P ;) :lol:
Kaz

Postby JoM » 09 Aug 2024, 23:18

:lol: That sounds ideal!
I’ve come to the conclusion that a man designed that house, a woman would’ve looked at the bare layout and designed it so that there was some storage. John was particularly interested in it because there was a door from the hall into the garage. Man thing.
I found the plans for our house earlier and what’s supposed to be the dining room here is only 8” narrower and 3’ shorter than the living room in the house we viewed.

I’m not sure we could realistically go down to a 3 bedroom yet, not while Joe’s still home and we still have a need for a home office for working from home, for either him or John.

Of course, there’s also the issue of my Dad. We’d be around an hour away, and in the same area as my sister, so any problems and there wouldn’t be anyone nearby to go to his aid but should we put our plans on hold? My sister certainly didn’t when she moved over to that area a few years ago and left all of this to us.
JoM

Postby Kaz » 10 Aug 2024, 16:10

JoM wrote:
Of course, there’s also the issue of my Dad. We’d be around an hour away, and in the same area as my sister, so any problems and there wouldn’t be anyone nearby to go to his aid but should we put our plans on hold? My sister certainly didn’t when she moved over to that area a few years ago and left all of this to us.

Ah yes, bit like how Mick and I feel, with both his brother's at least two hours away 8-) :roll:

I forgot about John needing to WFH, so of course you need the extra space :)
Kaz

Postby saundra » 10 Aug 2024, 18:42

Just my view ? These days an elderly person can like me
Have a care alarm if they need help it does help if you have good neighbours in lucky I do but I'm very independent and it suits me as Jonathan is a good 2 hours away actually I wouldn't want to be to near family
Good luck in your search jo
saundra

Postby Kaz » 10 Aug 2024, 19:25

D had a security alarm, after my father-in-law died, but it tripped and went off accidentally one day while she was at the hairdressers, and she got home to find that the police had kicked in her front door, and Mick's aunty and uncle waiting for her. The police were alerted by the alarm company who called the police and her emergency contact (aunty and uncle) - the police kicked in the door when there was no reply. The door had been custom made, and neither the cops not the insurance would pay up enough to replace it like for like - she was not happy :roll:

She refused to have it again after that, and will NOT wear a personal alarm.

I would like to move to the coast somewhere, but Mick won't leave his mum, and I would worry too - in fact I don't think he wants to leave Gloucester, he's a real Glawster boy.
Kaz

Postby saundra » 10 Aug 2024, 19:43

What a shame kaz it's a good job everyone is different I'm lucky neighbours have spare key for me plus they are all in there 60 hope you get to live by the sea one day in fact D might make a move who knows xx
saundra

Postby Kaz » 10 Aug 2024, 20:16

As you say, who knows :) xx
Kaz

Postby Osc » 24 Aug 2024, 11:27

I can see a few things about that house that I wouldn’t like, Jo. First of all, I do like open plan kitchen/living/diner, it’s what we have and it suits us very well. There was no stand alone shower or indeed any shower fittings on the bath in the main bathroom. In the kitchen, no counter top beside the oven, a real bugbear of mine, nowhere immediate to place something coming out of the oven. No airing cupboard would be a no-no for me, and there does seem to be a distinct lack of storage plus having lived for over 30 years without a utility room and now having a decent one, I don’t understand why a modern house would not have one.

I understand the thing about elderly parents - I must say, I’m glad that Miss Osc lives near although as an only one, I hope it doesn’t become too much of a burden for her as we get older.
Osc

Postby Kaz » 24 Aug 2024, 17:25

All very good points, Osc!
Kaz

Postby JoM » 25 Aug 2024, 11:21

Osc, there’s not even a cupboard in the hall (or anywhere for that matter!) for coats, shoes, bags etc.
The lack of a shower in the family bathroom didn’t go unnoticed by me either. Quite a few others that we’ve seen (online - many want you to make an appointment to view and we don’t want to get into the hard sell with a sales advisor when for now we’re just being nosey) have got a bath and a separate shower cubicle so to not even have a shower over the bath feels very basic.
The kitchen too, it’d got a double oven built in. I rarely use one oven let alone two since getting Instant Pots and air fryers. There was a built in fridge freezer too and I’d rather choose my own. An annoyance I had when we moved here was that the space left for the fridge freezer in the kitchen wasn’t wide enough for our American one, there was room elsewhere but not in the actual kitchen half of the room.
Even in Tom’s starter home he’s got a utility room - and two airing cupboards and a walk in understairs cupboard as well as a downstairs toilet.

John thought it was perfect for our needs but then he sees things with different eyes to me.
JoM

PreviousNext

Return to Homes and Gardens