I had a go at knitting

For our homes and gardens

Re: I had a go at knitting

Postby JoM » 08 Sep 2016, 11:26

I've got a size 4 hook Di so will give it a go.
My Mom and aunt did a crocheting night class some years ago, they started as beginners and by the end were making some very intricate pieces with cottons.

Has anyone tried tatting? When I was young there was an old lady who lived in a big house just up from us. She had a massive garden (nearly 2 acres) which she couldn't tend so offered it to some neighbours, Dad included, to grow vegetables. We all got to know her because of that and she used to enjoy tatting, she'd sit in front of her Aga for hours with a shuttle and a ball of cotton and she taught my sister how to do it.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Kaz » 08 Sep 2016, 15:31

My mum used to crochet a lot, but didn't have the patience for knitting, even though she did know how. She said crochet was quicker :roll: :lol: :lol: Not the most patient of people, my dear mum :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 08 Sep 2016, 21:18

Meant to say, have you seen www.kempswoolshop.com
They're brilliant for the clearance section. If you sign up, they only email a few times a year, when they get good bargains :)
Diflower

Postby debih » 08 Sep 2016, 22:09

I'm making this Jo.

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/cosy- ... anket.html

It's only one stitch so once I'd mastered that I was steaming ahead.

Mind you I did pick it up the other day and couldn't work out why I couldn't do it. I was holding the wool as I would if I was knitting. It took me ages to fathom it out.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby JoM » 08 Sep 2016, 22:49

Really like that Deb! The colours are gorgeous!

Thanks Di, I've bookmarked that page and signed up for newsletters. We haven't really got any decent wool shops around here, just a couple of market stalls which only seem to sell acrylic yarns in garish colours. I've either been buying from Ebay but the choice isn't brilliant or waiting until I go into Birmingham or Wolverhampton as House Of Fraser have good haberdashery departments in both cities but unfortunately it seems that they're closing due to Coats shutting down UK operations :cry:

Kaz, my Mom had plenty of patience, it was me who had none ;)

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Diflower » 08 Sep 2016, 22:59

Oh I like that Debbie, and one stitch is lovely, I like things I don't have to concentrate on too hard :)
Jo Kemps is just what you need, they charge postage at cost and have a chart for the weight you're buying.
Around here it's cheapo acrylic or expensive designer :D
Diflower

Previous

Return to Homes and Gardens