Growing veg at home

For our homes and gardens

Growing veg at home

Postby meriad » 19 Feb 2013, 15:44

after last year's miserable weather I'm in two minds just how much I should plant this year.... I've got the greenhouse but even that didn't seem to warm up enough - get enough sunlight last year to give a decent crop of anything :(

What are you doing this year - same as in the past or adjusting a bit?
meriad

Re: Growing veg at home

Postby TheOstrich » 19 Feb 2013, 16:05

Last year was a disaster - the famous £25 tomato ..... the only edible "fruit" from my new Asda greenhouse ! We had already reverted our vegetable "patch" back to flowers because we only have a pokey north-east facing garden which gets little sun, and with heavy clay soil, isn't really conducive to growing a crop.

Over this winter, I notice the bottom of the polythene cover of the greenhouse has deteriorated a bit. I should have packed it away, ideally, but I couldn't be bothered and left it in situ. I'll try peppers and tomatoes one last time this summer, but if there's no reward, I think I'll declare my vegetable growing days over ... :(
TheOstrich

Postby Lozzles » 19 Feb 2013, 21:25

I'm not sure what we are doing yet. We didn't really use the greenhouse last year, so this year I will give it a good clean and have a thunk :D I would like to try peppers as well as tomatoes.
Lozzles

Postby Diflower » 19 Feb 2013, 21:44

If you like beans, they're pretty reliable, not runner they're too fussy, but French beans, and mange tout as well, both quite like water ;)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 19 Feb 2013, 21:51

Weeeell funny you should ask cos Mick's mum has offered us the use of her huge empty greenhouse to grow what we like :D We don't really have space for one in ours........

So I guess we'd better start thinking :D Toms of some sort I think, maybe peppers, not sure about the dreaded courgettes but as long as they are 'contained' we shouldn't get tooo overrun :? :lol: :lol: :lol: I fancy some new potatoes actually 8-)
Kaz

Postby meriad » 21 Feb 2013, 12:34

i've always struggled with courgettes... the plant starts off great, you get a few and then the leaves get totally covered in mould and everything has to be thrown away. And that's regardless of if they are in the greenhouse or outside. I'll try tomatoes again as well as the usual pepper and chilli and cucumber in the greenhouse. Outside I'll try and grow some lettuces I think as well as some beans; beetroot, radishes - I just hope we have a bit of summer :(
meriad

Postby debih » 04 Mar 2013, 09:10

I desperately hope that this year is better - all that time and effort we put into the polytunnel and the allotment last year and we got very little from either.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Weka » 09 Mar 2013, 11:38

I should jump around the boards more often, tbh, I never caught up after the shift.

I planted my garden out today. Half of it I think it's too late in the season for so I am not expecting much, but I'm hopefull that this hot summering weather will continue for another month or two.

With the zucchini, try watering them in the morning, apparently the mould is caused by dampness and high humidity staying on the leaves for hours. By watering in the mornings the leaves dry relatively quickly. Well that's the theory, but I've never had much luck either, but mine until now, have always been in pots. This is my first actual vege garden.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Return to Homes and Gardens