First proper trip to the allotment yesterday

For our homes and gardens

First proper trip to the allotment yesterday

Postby debih » 04 Mar 2013, 09:19

It was wonderful. A beautiful bright and crisp day so I headed to the allotment - all on my lonesome as Mick was doing the kitchen and, as usual, neither of the girls was interested in coming.

I hadn't really been near for some time (a long time) :oops: :oops: :oops: but I was pleasantly surprised and it wasn't too bad.

I cut back all last years fruiting raspberry canes and tied this years in; I pulled up all the old brassicas and started to dig the bed over - I managed half the bed and will finish the rest off later in the week. And I hoed the fruit bush area - they all seem to be budding. We have blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries and blueberries in that area.

I wanted to start digging the trench for the runner beans but I ran out of time so that will be my next job - runner bean trench and the rest of the old brassica bed. I also need to think about getting some onions and potatoes in.

We haven't really decided what to plant this year but I think we will be doing lots of plug plants rather than starting from seed. Our polytunnel blew down again in the bad weather and although it can be salvaged it isn't top on the list of Mick's priorities. Jo, my friend who helps me out on the plot, has just had a new, smaller conservatory so she doesn't have as much space to start seeds off. So rather than stressing out about getting seeds on the go we have decided that we will grow mainly from plugs but do all the beans, peas, etc from seed.

We usually have an array of beans, brassicas, potatoes and onions as well as the soft fruit. We usually try something new each year but haven't decided what (if anything) this year - it might just be better to concentrate on getting something from the plot. Last year was dire!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: First proper trip to the allotment yesterday

Postby Ally » 04 Mar 2013, 16:55

Sounds great Debih.

I would love to grow my own peas, beans, carrots and spuds. :D

We have apple, pear, orange and lemon trees..bit difficult to make a hearty casserole from that lot! :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Re: First proper trip to the allotment yesterday

Postby meriad » 04 Mar 2013, 17:51

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a fair weather gardner - in fact a VERY fair weather gardner and hate going out when it's miserable, wet and windy... but my fingers are itching to get into the garden and I just cannot wait for some nicer weather :)

I'm not sure though how much I'm going to plant this year - last year was a dismal failure despite the greenhouse; it just never got warm enough. But knowing me, once I start looking through the seed catalogues I'll go a bit mad :oops:
meriad

Return to Homes and Gardens