Roses

For our homes and gardens

Roses

Postby cruiser2 » 29 Jun 2022, 11:51

My roses are now blooming.
I have a Silver Wedding, A Ruby Wedding, an Elibeth Two and a Captain Tom.

They are in different parts of the garden surrounded by smaller flowers. So far there are no pests on them this year.
cruiser2

Re: Roses

Postby Kaz » 29 Jun 2022, 15:23

Lovely :) I have a Princess Elizabeth (a pink floribunda) and we also have a small, potted, cream coloured rose that Becky's colleagues bought her last year, when we lost our little dog Pepper. I don't know what variety it is.

My mum-in-law has a Captain Tom, in a pot.

My mum loved roses, and grew lots :)
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 29 Jun 2022, 22:12

We have one rose, a "Gertrude Jeckyll" which is a climber and has lovely dark pink blooms. It's also very fragrant.

It was unfortunately in the "line of fire" when we lost part of our fencing in Storm Eunice. but it seems to have survived being flattened, and we hope it'll recover.

We're actually hoping to buy two or three more climbers to replace shrubs we lost - roses seem to do well round here - but they ain't cheap, looks like £20 - £25 each ......

Cruiser, we did get a vine weevil infestation a couple of years back, but we sprayed and, touch wood, we haven't had a reoccurrence.
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 11 Aug 2022, 23:10

My parents have a lot of roses. I had a beautiful one at our old house, a beautiful orange-red Alexander. My parents bought it for me after Tom was born as Alexander is his middle name.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 11 Aug 2022, 23:27

TheOstrich wrote:We have one rose, a "Gertrude Jeckyll" which is a climber and has lovely dark pink blooms. It's also very fragrant.
It was unfortunately in the "line of fire" when we lost part of our fencing in Storm Eunice. but it seems to have survived being flattened, and we hope it'll recover.
We're actually hoping to buy two or three more climbers to replace shrubs we lost - roses seem to do well round here - but they ain't cheap, looks like £20 - £25 each ......
Cruiser, we did get a vine weevil infestation a couple of years back, but we sprayed and, touch wood, we haven't had a reoccurrence.

Just to follow up, the "Gertrude Jeckyll" has indeed survived and has repeat-bloomed since being staked up against the new fence.

We have recently bought a couple of new roses:

1. A "Wollerton Old Hall" from David Austin Roses via the local garden centre for £29.99 :shock:
https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/prod ... n-old-hall
It has bloomed repeatedly since planting, but no real fragrance as yet, and

2. A mystery rose from the plant sale on the Town Meadow for £3 which could be anything! :lol:
It does seem to be thriving, however, but no buds this year.
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 24 Aug 2022, 13:45

Beautiful, Ossie :D
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 24 Aug 2022, 23:00

When we bought our house we couldn't understand why the garden was so full of roses. Now we can, they love clay soil
miasmum

Postby TheOstrich » 24 Aug 2022, 23:41

miasmum wrote:When we bought our house we couldn't understand why the garden was so full of roses. Now we can, they love clay soil

Absolutely! :D We're on Kimmeridge Clay here, which is why both the back garden and the local soccer pitches have all developed crevasses this summer. We really should have realised earlier that roses would thrive in our soil conditions.

Wiki wrote:The Kimmeridge Clay is a sedimentary deposit of fossiliferous marine clay which is of Late Jurassic to lowermost Cretaceous age and occurs in southern and eastern England and in the North Sea. This rock formation is the major source rock for North Sea oil. The fossil fauna of the Kimmeridge Clay includes turtles, crocodiles, sauropods, plesiosaurs, pliosaurs and ichthyosaurs, as well as a number of invertebrate species. Kimmeridge Clay is named after the village of Kimmeridge on the Dorset coast of England, where it is well exposed and forms part of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site. Onshore, it is of Late Jurassic (Kimmeridgian) age and outcrops across England, in a band stretching from Dorset in the south-west, north-east to North Yorkshire. Offshore, it extends into the Lower Cretaceous (Berriasian Stage) and it is found throughout the Southern, Central and Northern North Sea.
Kimmeridge Clay is of great economic importance, being the major source rock for oil fields in the North Sea hydrocarbon province.

We haven't found any crocodiles yet .... :? :lol:
TheOstrich

Return to Homes and Gardens