a Thrush in the garden.

For our homes and gardens

a Thrush in the garden.

Postby fudgie21 » 05 Dec 2012, 11:06

This is such a rare occurance now that we got excited this morning when we noticed a Thrush on the feeding table, I think it's the second one this year. We do get plenty of birds at the feeders and love watching their antics.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear....Mark Twain.
fudgie21

Re: a Thrush in the garden.

Postby Kaz » 05 Dec 2012, 18:32

Oh lovely :D
Kaz

Postby Aggers » 06 Dec 2012, 23:41

I don't think I've seen a thrush in the garden here this year.

We have lots of flowering plants, including buddleja, but I've only seen two buterflies.

Our wildlife seems to be suffering in recent years,
Aggers

Postby TheOstrich » 12 Dec 2012, 11:31

On t'other hand, we have heard an owl hunting round here early evenings over the last two weeks, once so loud it could have been on the window-sill - Master O was complaining it drowned out his telly! Our local wildlife expert identified it as a male tawny owl and said there's quite a healthy population of them locally now.

House sparrows seem to have made a bit of a resurgance around us, and I noted a collared dove in the oak tree behind us yesterday, looking as big and fat as a turkey! A welcome reappearance, which reminds me I need to scatter some seed out on the lawn. Amongst the local magpie flocks, there's at least one jay (same family), and I've seen it close-up twice this year. And I think I spotted the resident grey heron from the local nature reserve floating over the bungalows behind our offices on Monday.

What I'm looking for now we're in a cold snap is to see if we get a flock of fieldfares in from the surrounding countryside and descending on our back gardens, as we've had in the past two years.

I don't think our colony of squirrels is a large as last year though - usually it's 4 or 5 of them, this year, so far, I've only seen a couple together.
TheOstrich

Postby saundra » 12 Dec 2012, 12:26

iv got a black bird eating at an apple i threw out
never see many butterflies either
its the bad summer we had
saundra

Postby Weka » 20 Dec 2012, 08:20

The bees seem to have returned this year :D
Everything happens for a reason
Weka