Squirrel

For our homes and gardens

Squirrel

Postby cruiser2 » 09 Dec 2012, 10:16

A grey squirrel runs along the top of the fence round our back garden. So we bought some hazel nuts and put a few on a small plastic tray. These disappeared. Yesterday we put the rest of the packet on tow trays on the path at the bottom of the fence. After lunch the squirrel came and we watched it for quite some time, picking up the nuts and it buried some in my lawn. It took some away to another hiding place. Mrs.e says we have to buy some more nuts so that it will have a good Christmas dinner.
8-) 8-) 8-)
cruiser2

Re: Squirrel

Postby Rodo » 09 Dec 2012, 10:21

You want to watch out Cruiser, you will be swamped with them if you aren't careful. We have quite a few grey squirrels visiting regularly and they really can ruin your garden. They pull up bulbs you have planted and chew them. They also bury acorns all over the place and you then get small oak trees growing everywhere, including in your lawn.

The main thing to watch is that they don't get into your roof space. Some people have had bills for thousands of pounds because of damage done by squirrels.

They aren't quite the sweet cuddly little things that you at first think.
Rodo

Postby Kaz » 09 Dec 2012, 18:38

Tree rats I'm afraid - not at all like the native red squirells we used to have. They can be a terrific pest as Rodo said :|
Kaz

Postby elusivelaine » 11 Dec 2012, 17:19

My cousin built a wooden box for nuts that had a lid on it. My father was entertained for hours watching
the squirrels figure out a way to get into the box - finally they were able to flip the lid up and dip their
entire bodies in with just the tail showing off the top. Then the head would poke out to be sure no one
was coming, then back into the box again.

My ex husband used to have a bird feeder that was on a shepherd's pole in the front yard, which he greased nearly
every day just to keep the squirrels from climbing up to get at the bird feed. However, they always found a way and were constantly testing the pole, jumping from the nearest tree to the top of the feeder and hanging off the side to tip all
the seeds out.

I am firmly convinced that when the Bible says "the meek shall inherit the Earth" - He was really talking about
squirrels. 8-)
"I'd kiss you, but I just washed my hair." - Bette Davis
elusivelaine

Postby debih » 11 Dec 2012, 20:51

Don't you worry if you get over run by squirrels Cruiser.

I have a very good Kentucky Fried squirrel recipe and they are also pretty good bbq'd.

I have a few in the freezer at the moment.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby TheOstrich » 11 Dec 2012, 20:55

I bought a "3/4" filled coconut shell for £2.75 and hung it on the fence for the blue tits, in what I thought was a reasonable inaccessable place for the tree-rats. Within 24 hours, the squirrels had dismantled it from its fixings and walked off with it. We actually saw them bowling the thing across the lawn and then stuffing it behind the garden shed where the magpies couldn't get at it ..... :mrgreen:
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 11 Dec 2012, 21:01

:shock: :lol: Debih 8-)

Ossie that's hilarious - you have to admire the little blighters :x :oops:
Kaz

Return to Homes and Gardens