Skirting board central heating

For our homes and gardens

Skirting board central heating

Postby Osc » 18 Jan 2014, 14:04

We are looking at different forms of central heating for our renovation, and were wondering about skirting board heating - does anyone have it and if so, does it work well? We might have underfloor heating in the bathroom, not sure yet.
Osc

Re: Skirting board central heating

Postby debih » 18 Jan 2014, 14:11

Nope. We have bog standard central heating.

I know lots of people with under floor heating and they love it.

Don't know anyone with skirting board heating.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Kaz » 18 Jan 2014, 19:10

I've also heard very good things of underfloor heating, but I've not heard of skirting board heating either :?
Kaz

Postby cruiser2 » 18 Jan 2014, 19:51

osc,
If you go on Google it will bring up several firms which install this type of heating. There is one which has a branch in Dublin.
Don't know anything about it. Ask to talk to customers who have had it installed.
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 18 Jan 2014, 20:32

Osc, when I was in the RAF nearly all the barrack blocks had a rudimentary version of this form of heating. Instead of the hot pipes being part of the skirting they were just open and ran round the rooms. Boy did they work! You not only got the air being heated and circulated, as with a convection heater, they also radiated heat. We didn't get hot-spots, as with radiators, the heat was evenly spread throughout the rather large 18 - 24 man rooms.

Have a thorough research and see what crops up.
Workingman

Postby Osc » 18 Jan 2014, 22:38

Thanks all. We have friends living in Herts. who have skirting board heating and it works really well in their house, it's always nice and warm. Cruiser, there is a firm here in Ireland that does it, we've had a good look at their site this evening. WM, that's interesting - if it worked then, there is no reason why it shouldn't work now and as our living space is going to be open plan we need something that will heat it effectively and economically. Will hand it over to the architects for their opinion :)
Osc

Postby meriad » 20 Jan 2014, 14:49

I was looking at this a few weeks back for my lounge Osc so I'd be curious to hear what you decide / what your architects think
meriad

Postby Osc » 22 Jan 2014, 18:12

Hi Meri, our architect has come back to us - they spoke to a mechanical consultant and do not recommend the system for the following reasons:

The skirting is metal, quite large and considered generally as quite unattractive.

It causes staining to the walls in time because of the constant flow of hot air up the wall.

It is difficult to fit neatly to walls especially if the walls are uneven or have junctions which are not 90 deg.

You have to keep furniture away from the walls for the system to work.

It may well be more suitable for your house, our building is very old and I don't think there is one 90 deg wall in the place! The other points were news to us and very useful. Hope this helps :)
Osc

Postby miasmum » 22 Jan 2014, 21:42

Can't think of why anyone would want it to be honest Osc. Lucky you found out
miasmum

Postby Osc » 23 Jan 2014, 17:50

Shell, that's why we are paying the architects lots of money, to tell us all these things ;) We want to make sure that we make no major mistakes because this is where we will be living for the rest of our natural....
Osc

Next

Return to Homes and Gardens