The nitty gritty of my knotty knitty!!!! New update!!

For our homes and gardens

The nitty gritty of my knotty knitty!!!! New update!!

Postby Ally » 11 Mar 2014, 15:58

In other words: my pathetic attempt to knit! :oops: :oops:

I can't even cast on!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I sat there reading (looking at the pictures!) of my beautiful glossy Aneeta Patel's Knitting For The Absolute Beginner book.

Ms Patel - how about writing one entitled The Complete Thicko With 6 Thumbs, Sausages For Fingers and Half A Brain's Guide To Knitting cos I'd sure as hell buy it! :?

I've watched numerous little videos and nowhere on the video does the knitter struggle to even cast on!

Quote from Ms Patel: Without the ever-necessary slipknot you won't get far at all.

I'm not even in first gear matey! I'm going nowhere! :oops:

I've had to go and wash my hands twice now as they were sweating in my frustration. :shock:

I honestly think my brain has a block that thinks noooooo when it sees me approaching anything remotely arty crafty. :lol:

I'm going to work soon and then meeting Don for a few beers - I might get better results with alcohol in me if I decide to try again tonight! :lol: :lol:

Notsoknittynora will be back. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ally on 20 Apr 2014, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
Ally
Site Admin

Re: The nitty gritty of my knotty knitty!!!!

Postby Diflower » 11 Mar 2014, 18:07

Ally what you probably really need, just for that beginning bit of casting on, is someone to show you.
Ask everyone you know, once you've got that the lovely Aneeta will be fine (it was me who had that book) :)
Failing someone else, have another go tomorrow :D x
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 11 Mar 2014, 18:16

What Di said - blimey Ally even I can cast on, so it must be simple when you know how :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: You just need someone to show you in the flesh so you can copy rather than observing someone do it - bet you anything you are a kinaesthetic learner ;) Don't give up :D 8-)
Kaz

Postby Ally » 11 Mar 2014, 18:29

I looked that up Kaz and that is me to a tee! - very much a do-er. :lol: :lol:

Kinesthetic learning (also known as tactile learning) is a learning style in which learning takes place by the student carrying out a physical activity, rather than listening to a lecture or watching a demonstration. People with a preference for kinesthetic learning are also commonly known as "do-ers". Tactile-kinesthetic learners make up about five percent of the population.[1] The Fleming VAK/VARK model (one of the most common and widely used categorizations of the various types of learning styles)[2] categorized learning styles as follows:
Visual learners
Auditory learners
Reading- or writing-preference learners
Kinesthetic learners

Spot on Kaz! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 11 Mar 2014, 19:09

I was taught how to spot people's learning modality as part of my hypno course - it affects the way you induce them into hypnosis ;) :geek: :lol: :lol:

I'm kinaesthetic too BTW, I can watch someone do something until the cows come home, but until I've actually done it for myself it will NOT sink in :roll: ;) :lol:
Kaz

Postby Osc » 12 Mar 2014, 14:47

I think I would be kinaesthetic too, I need to do it myself after being shown. Laughing at notsoknittynora :lol: :lol:
Osc

Postby Diflower » 12 Mar 2014, 15:03

Actually Ally, before worrying about finding someone who can do it, ask Don and both boys.
Before you laugh, I have this problem too, and when I was trying to work out what I was meant to do in a sewing pattern, I asked Bb to help me figure it out. His brain works the same way as mine, but between us we did work it out - eventually!

His initial reaction was 'But I can't sew!' - but I explained it wasn't about sewing, it was transferring written instructions to the brain ;) :)

So ask for their help, show them the instructions, and with any luck one of them will be able to do it and therefore show you :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 12 Mar 2014, 19:32

Not a bad idea that Di! 8-) :geek: :D :D
Kaz

Postby Ally » 13 Mar 2014, 08:58

Good idea Di..but I have to tell you what Conor said. :lol: :lol:

I'd left my knitting needles on the coffee table yesterday and last night when I got home Conor came into the kitchen and asked me: "mum, how come you've got some blue kebab skewers." :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not him I'll be asking to help me cast on. :lol: :lol:

Don's going to show me. :oops: :P :P
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 13 Mar 2014, 09:14

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Next

Return to Homes and Gardens