Suggestions gratefully received

For our homes and gardens

Suggestions gratefully received

Postby miasmum » 02 Apr 2014, 07:52

Does anyone have any tried and tested ideas how to deter cats from our garden? There are three, next doors, next door but ones and over the back. They spend all their time in our garden. The ground at the top where the chickens are is lovely and soft as the chickens dig constantly, so these cats use it as one huge litter tray. I now have to walk round and poop scoop it every morning. On my way up there yesterday I noticed cat pooh in my rockery. They also sit on top of the guinea run and put their paws through the wire which frightens them.

Plus Mia is frightened to go out there now.
miasmum

Re: Suggestions gratefully received

Postby Kaz » 02 Apr 2014, 08:41

Lion poo, google and you can order from the net :)
Kaz

Postby Weka » 02 Apr 2014, 10:58

A Water pistol was my mum's preferred method. One cat in particular didn't seem to mind water though. We called it blacky. one day it sat in the laundry door, watching mum fill a bucket of water, it then continued to sit there while she poured said bucket of water over blacky, all it did was stand briefly, shake the water off, then sit back down. :lol: :lol: :lol: So it then become the unofficial unfed member of the family. :lol: :lol:

though seriously, i have heard lion poo works, it's good for the garden too.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby TheOstrich » 02 Apr 2014, 12:51

When I see them on the fence, I go out into the back garden and stare at them. It's a contest - the first one to blink loses.

Usually that's me! :mrgreen:

Our poo problem is more hedgehog than cat, to be honest ..... all over the place!
TheOstrich

Postby Rodo » 02 Apr 2014, 13:11

There is some stuff you can buy and we found it was very effective. It's just called Cat Repellent and most large s/markets sell it. Obviously it washes away when it rains, but you just have to stop the cycle of the cat visiting the same place.
Rodo

Postby meriad » 02 Apr 2014, 13:22

actually not sure which is worse, hedgehog, cat or fox poo :?

Shell, to be honest deterring a cat is not going to be easy. I'd definitely look at investing in a water pistol - pref one of those super soaker ones that have a long reach so you can sneak up on the cat. You'll have to keep up with it though which may be an issue if you're out and about and also at night.

Is your garden fenced in, ie do the cats have to jump over fences to get in? If yes then what about cat proofing the garden, which will keep them out, and Mia inside and safe?

alternatively you could also use something like this - there are cheaper ones about: http://www.pestcontrolsupplies.co.uk/mo ... 7AodQB4AWQ but this is to give you an idea. But not sure if it would affect your chickens?

Finally, you'll laugh - but apparently it does work - get Tim to pee in a bottle and spread that around the border of the property; or just get him to pee in the garden directly. But it has to be male urine; something to do with the hormones that the animals can then smell. But I've never known anyone to try it so don't know if it actually does work :lol: :lol: :lol:
meriad

Postby Kaz » 02 Apr 2014, 16:57

:lol: :lol: Yep, lion poo or hubby pee - take your pick, it's all a male territory thing and keeps them out! :P :lol: :lol:

Ria, Harry used to have one of those super-soaker water guns. One very hot summer's night when we lived in Swindon we woke one night to the sound of "tinkle...... tinkle.....", and there sat at the bottom of our bed was a huge fluffy white cat wearing a belled collar :shock: :lol: He had climbed onto the conservatory roof and hopped in through the window..............

Mick shot out of bed, ran to Harry's room, grabbed the super-soaker and fired! The cat shot out of the room, down the stairs with a naked Mick in hot pursuit, into the conservatory where it proceeded to do a "Wall of Death" around the edges of the walls, and then out through the door which Mick had opened!
-
It never came in again :twisted: ;) :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby meriad » 04 Apr 2014, 09:06

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and I bet you were sitting in bed having a good giggle all the time - I know I would have :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously - the super soakers are probably the best way forward because they have such a huge range and don't harm the animal. The only word of caution I would give though is never to use them on cold nights; the animal won't stand a chance at warming up ;) :(
meriad

Postby Ally » 04 Apr 2014, 10:50

Oh Kaz that is so funny. :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby TheOstrich » 04 Apr 2014, 11:46

The cat shot out of the room, down the stairs with a naked Mick in hot pursuit, into the conservatory where it proceeded to do a "Wall of Death" around the edges of the walls

I would have loved to see that on YouTube .... it would have gone totally viral! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheOstrich

Next

Return to Homes and Gardens