Redoing the front garden

For our homes and gardens

Re: Redoing the front garden

Postby miasmum » 14 Apr 2014, 22:59

My clematis has climbed up and over the fence. We get stalks and leaves and next door gets beautiful flowers. I haven't the heart to cut it back though it looks so happy
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 15 Apr 2014, 08:50

I wish I'd left ours alone now :roll: :lol:
Kaz

Postby saundra » 15 Apr 2014, 15:37

Mine is a Montana veriety it goes mad I dont cut it back much
THE other one flowers

In the summer
Give yours time kaz
saundra

Postby meriad » 15 Apr 2014, 20:27

It'll grow again Kaz; they often actually do a lot better once they've had a good haircut. Maybe not this year but just wait and see. Do you know which clematis it is you've got? They usually fall into three groups and depending what group yours falls into it has certain pruning requirements. Some you cut back really hard and others just a bit of a trim ;)

Well the hard work is more or less done; I need to go to the garden centre tomorrow to get a roll of turf because the original bed was cut a lot wider than the circle allows (to sort of get that figure of 8). Tomorrow's job will be to rake and rake and rerake the newly exposed soil to remove as many weed roots and grass bits that may be left; then I need to empty all the compost from the raised veggie bed in the back garden and get it to the front and dig it under. The veggie bed is falling apart so needs to be replaced in a month or so when finances allow.

Then depending on how much I manage to get done tomorrow I'll either start planting up in the afternoon or leave it for Thursday. But I'm pleased so far :)

Oh and my muscles hurt! :lol: :lol: :lol:
meriad

Postby Kaz » 15 Apr 2014, 20:36

No I don't know but we are leaving it to see what happens, maybe it will come back :) ;)
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 15 Apr 2014, 20:45

Lovely hard earned pain Ria. The planting will be great fun

We are planning on working in the garden on Friday (weather permitting) but our soil is clay. So it either sticks like sh*t to a blanket or it is so hard you can't get a fork in for love nor money
miasmum

Postby meriad » 17 Apr 2014, 21:21

Well it's all done and I'm really pleased with it - even if I say so myself. I'm trying to download some photo's but the phone is struggling.

Shell, when it comes to working in the garden I'm really lucky because my soil is very sandy. It does mean having to add quite a bit of compost and mulch but still; compared to my first garden that was clay soil this is a dream to work with.

But on the other hand, come the warm summer days the soil dries out super fast and the plants really struggle because the water just seeps right through
meriad

Postby Workingman » 19 Apr 2014, 18:25

I have just seen this as I was working my way back from the Photo board. :D

With sandy soil, vermiculite is your friend Ria. When you are adding mulch/compost double its volume with vermiculite and dig it in well. It holds water and is a sort of light clay which will help to bind the soil.

Also, if you have an old blender, or can get one from the charity shop, think about making your own liquid compost from vegetable peels, fruit past its best, old tea bags and even egg shells etc - don't use meat, dairy or fats. Bung the things in the blender, just cover with enough water and blitz. If it is a bit thick add more water bit by bit - you do not want an exploding blender! Pour it round the plants then the next day either dig or water it in. If you make a lot it will save in a covered bucket until needed. If you have weeds (dandelions, nettles, dock) you can get your own back on them using this method, but make sure to remove any seed heads before starting.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 19 Apr 2014, 22:06

Darn Frank - you should have been on here days ago :lol: :lol: :lol: I've got vermiculite in the greenhouse and didn't think to add it to the planting holes... oh well

As for the compost; dare I admit that I don't eat enough fruit and veg to warrant making my own compost. Fruit I usually eat at the office (provided by work) and as for the veg :oops: :oops: :oops: I love them, but just don't cook enough
meriad

Previous

Return to Homes and Gardens