Crochet!

For our homes and gardens

Crochet!

Postby Osc » 20 May 2014, 12:09

About 40 years ago, I taught myself to crochet when we were living in London and Mr. Osc used to do 24 hour shifts in hotels. I did quite a bit, used to enjoy it as a change from knitting (I'm a lazy knitter, can have things on the needles for years as I can get bored :oops: ). But I've always kept things I have started in the mostly vain hope that I'll finish them some day :oops: :lol:

So............when doing decluttering of various stuff earlier in the year, I did a ruthless cull of all the bits and pieces of knitting and crochet, disposing of lots of wool as Ally knows, but kept a rather pretty circular baby's shawl I had started to crochet many years ago for some long forgotten baby. So the year progresses and we get news of our second grandchild being on the way and I think about the shawl. Of course at the moment I'm sitting around a lot, so I've dug the shawl out and re-taught myself the stitches and am rather enjoying it! There's a lot more of it done already than I thought so I'll definitely have it finished in time, in fact might have time to knit a few bits as well :lol: :lol: Honestly, I really do think I started this shawl maybe 30 years ago as the pattern is really old with tiny print - which is just as well, because I can't really understand it anyway :lol: If I want to do more crochet from scratch I'll have to start relearning from scratch too!!

Needless to say, I'll put up a photo of this 30 year masterpiece when it's finished :lol:
Osc

Re: Crochet!

Postby Diflower » 20 May 2014, 12:14

Lovely Osc, nice to have something as a project when you're stuck at home anyway :)
You may remember I taught myself from an old booklet I found in a charity shop. I don't do a lot but do enjoy it, even if it's for nothing - you know, pretty little flowers and things.
In fact I sewed a stack of those together and tied them to my suitcase :D
Diflower

Postby JoM » 20 May 2014, 13:42

Really looking forward to seeing a photo of it Osc! :D

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Ally » 20 May 2014, 14:16

Oh how lovely Osc and I look forward to seeing the finished product. :D :D

Is it easy to learn to crochet Osc?

It's thanks to you and that wool that I have knitted a bag for my needles and another for my wool! :lol:

Ooooh...I think I'll take a photo of them and put them on the pic board. :lol:

I'm now knitting a cardigan for a baby. :shock:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 20 May 2014, 16:37

Oh how lovely Osc 8-) :D
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 20 May 2014, 16:38

I once started a knitted blanket for my sister's new baby - it never did get finished and she's now 24 (tomorrow) :? :oops: :roll: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Paddypix » 20 May 2014, 19:10

I'd like to be able to crochet. I learned a bit years ago but all I could do was make 6 inch squares. I must get my daughter-in-law to show me how it's done as she makes really nice things.
Paddypix

Postby Osc » 24 May 2014, 17:13

Ally, just realised I didn't answer your question as to whether it is hard to crochet. No it's not, I taught myself from a book (well it was the '70s :lol: ) but there's loads of stuff online now, because I had a look to remind myself of the various stitches. You start with basic chain stitch and work from there, give it a go. Coincidentally, while clearing out and packing away winter stuff today, I came across the first thing I ever made which was a triangular shawl with fringing (as I said, it was the '70s ;) ) - I wore it loads and could never bear to give it away to Oxfam, not that anyone would wear such a thing nowadays.
Osc

Postby Diflower » 24 May 2014, 20:51

My mum made me one of those Osc, sadly all my stuff disappeared.
One of the first things I knitted was a lovely triangular shawl, in some beautiful silk/cotton (from a charity shop!), from that Knitty Gritty book. I gave it to my uncle & aunt's granddaughter when they came to stay, she loved it :)
Diflower

Postby Ally » 26 May 2014, 13:51

Thanks Osc - I'll have a look online and see what I think of it. :D
Ally
Site Admin

Next

Return to Homes and Gardens