A good trip

For our homes and gardens

A good trip

Postby Diflower » 06 Jun 2014, 13:22

We went to the big nursery up the road; I rejected the packs of 6 geraniums for £4.99 :shock: I know they'll be cheaper at the farm shop.
But I did get a full-price begonia, one of those 'million kisses' ones that trails. We have a (horrible plastic) chimneypot thing that was left here, so I do plant something trailing in it then stand it so the pot doesn't show much ;) :)

They always have a £1 stand, had a quick look and saw some alyssum, was thinking about that as we went round, then I heard one of the assistants say 'I'm going to be naughty and put all this lot on the £1 stand, they're not as good as the others' - so at a polite pace(ish) we hotfooted it after her and got 2 trays of pink cosmos (£4.99 each), 1 of begonias and 1 of the alyssum, all for £1 each - and a great big purple erysium that was priced at £7.99 :D
Oh and a sage plant as mine's died :)

Their pots were too expensive/not quite right, so we went to the next nursery and got two nice big frostproof terracotta pots, one taller and one rounder, bogof :D
Lots of filling with compost/planting for me to do now :)
Diflower

Re: A good trip

Postby JoM » 06 Jun 2014, 13:43

You did very well! :D

There's a nursery a couple of miles away which is overly expensive and is also crammed full of people. I've recently found out though that there's one just down the lanes from us so we'll be checking that one out. I got all of my container plants from the grocer's in town though this year.

My parents have a chimney pot in their garden. I actually salvaged it for them lol. The shop I used to manage was in an old Victorian building and some workmen turned up one day to do some work on the chimney stack. I went out to the bins and saw them about to throw the old pot into the back of their truck so I asked what they were doing with it and they said they were taking it to the tip along with the rest of the rubbish so I said I'd have it.
Good thing I wasn't getting the bus home that night :P

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Diflower » 06 Jun 2014, 14:37

Blimey that was lucky, they cost a fortune! :)
I don't like ours but like the height of it :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 06 Jun 2014, 17:24

Oh that all sounds lovely Di, what bargains!!! Yes plenty to keep you out of mischief this weekend then ;) :D :D

Jo I'm Lol'ing at the thought of you potentially going home on the bus with that chimney pot 8-) :D :D :lol: :lol: What a fab find!!
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 06 Jun 2014, 18:14

We did a lot of it before himself had to go to work :)
Filled the two new pots with compost (no plants yet)
Emptied the small shallow pot of past-it violas and refilled it with fresh compost (no plants yet)
Decided the other bigger pot of violas still looks lovely so left it :)

In the raised bed at the back:
Planted the erysmium (? something like that!) behind the variegated abelia
Planted the first 6 cosmos dotted about in there
Planted the sage in the herb bit.
Then I needed a kip :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 06 Jun 2014, 18:16

8-) 8-) 8-) Fab, that will all look lovely!!! :) :)
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 07 Jun 2014, 14:32

We've been to the farm shop now :)
Knew I was right about the geraniums, not much smaller, nice pinky/lilac ones and £2.95 a tray - just looked at the receipt though and we were only charged £1.95 :D
Also got some purple petunias for a change, and pale blue and white trailing lobelia - all charged at £1.95 a tray :D

I used to always get petunias, then we had a particularly wet summer and they hate it, so I didn't get many but they are so pretty :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 07 Jun 2014, 16:10

Great prices, and very pretty :) 8-)
Kaz

Return to Homes and Gardens