Sewing machine

For our homes and gardens

Sewing machine

Postby Rodo » 31 Jul 2014, 11:16

I am thinking of treating myself to a new sewing machine. I have only had mine for 40 years!

Any recommendations, or warnings?
Rodo

Re: Sewing machine

Postby Diflower » 31 Jul 2014, 13:12

Mine is an earlier version of this one from Argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 602576.htm

As I'm sure you know I'm no expert :D

It's fairly basic but does do quite a lot of stitches.
Loz got a new one, I can't find the thread now, I think it's a Singer.
Generally I feel the more electronic things are, the more there is to go wrong :D

Mine doesn't do automatic buttonholes, but I don't know how easy they are as I haven't done any :lol:
It can have several different feet (foots?!) and they're very easy to change.
I've found it ever so easy to use, and the instruction booklet is very good too.
Haven't made anything very clever, but have used it on really thick denim for instance (Minnie's toys) and it manages that fine.

If you have a local Singer shop though, I'd go there and talk to them. I didn't know when I got mine, there's one in the next town.
Diflower

Postby Rodo » 31 Jul 2014, 14:42

Lidl are doing a Singer on Thursday as a special offer. I tried to look it up but think it must be an obsolete model. It looks OK though.

I really only do straight household sewing or small repairs and alterations, so I don't need anything fancy. Sleeves are almost always too long for me so I nearly always have to shorten them. Mostly that is easy but sometimes it can be a bit tricky.

I will take your advice about the Singer shop I think. There used to be one in Preston, I will see if it's still there.
Rodo

Postby Diflower » 31 Jul 2014, 15:06

Lidl's Singer one looks a good basic model too, and it's a good price :)

Their ad says Monday 4th, so you've got time to go to the shop - have you got a phone/tablet you could take with you to look at the Lidl one while you're there, or even to show them?

Just looked at Amazon, they have a couple of 'Tradition' models, although not the same one.
Diflower

Postby Rodo » 31 Jul 2014, 15:41

Yes could do that. Mondays aren't easy for me as hubby takes the car to go to his volunteering. (We only have one car now) I'm sure I can work something out.
Rodo

Postby cruiser2 » 02 Aug 2014, 18:23

Just had a pair of trousers shortened, New pockets in another pair, A small repair to another pair which I will now use for gardening.
Mrs.e also had a pair of trousers shortened which have a lining.

Total cost £15.00. It has been done by a friend who has been a dressmaker. She is now nearly 70 but still active.
Will try to post photos of two small items she has made and given to us.

My mother had a Singer for many years. It was operated by pressing your knee on a lever which hung down from the bottom of the machine.
cruiser2

Postby Lozzles » 02 Aug 2014, 22:00

Rodo, I had my basic Singer for 30 years. When I had to get a new one I went for a Brother...this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-L14/dp/ ... ng+machine

It's fine, but quite basic. If you don't need anything fancy it's just the job. I do find it just a little 'clunky' though and might have been better getting the next model up.
Lozzles

Postby Rodo » 03 Aug 2014, 08:34

It looks nice, and very inexpensive too.

You know, mine looks like it came out of the Ark compared to the new ones. It probably did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rodo

Postby Weka » 04 Sep 2014, 20:17

I got this one for Christmas
http://m.snapdeal.com/product/brother-stitching-relationship-sewing-machine/1447909
The light is hopeless, absolutely hopeless. It is a led light, from what I can see it seems to be a blue based light, but to be honest, it is so dim it doesn't shine on the fabric you are trying to sew. I need to work out if I can take it out and replace it, as I don't want to have to turn a lamp on just to see to see in the middle of the day. Even my mum called it crap, and she never uses that word.

Cruiser, I still have one of those knee action singer machines. It stitches so nicely. It's only downside is it can't do a reverse stitch.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby cruiser2 » 30 Sep 2014, 15:43

Cruiser, I still have one of those knee action singer machines. It stitches so nicely. It's only downside is it can't do a reverse stitch.[/quote]
The one my mother had was in a lovely wooden case with a curved top. It had a handle on the top so you could easily carry it about.
I don't know what happened to it as my brother and his wife took a lot of things from the house when my mother died
cruiser2

Next

Return to Homes and Gardens