does anyone have any clever ideas how to make...

For our homes and gardens

does anyone have any clever ideas how to make...

Postby meriad » 20 Jan 2013, 17:15

a snow cover for bird food. Given that I have cats I put bird food for ground feeders up on the roof of a small metal shed I have; the cats cannot get at it so the birds are safe. But, with weather like now, whatever I put out gets covered by snow within a fairly short space of time. I know I can buy something like this: http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-food-a ... eeder.html but by the time the dome is low enough to stop snow getting over the food, it's also too low for the blackbirds to comfortably get at the food.... I was considering rigging something using a pram umbrella but not sure how - besides the fact it probably would look a bit daft ;) . Another option would be to buy something like this: http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-food-a ... table.html and put it on the shed roof vs hanging it, but they're quite expensive :(

So just wondering if anyone here has done something to protect the birdfood from the elements and if yes, what did you do and does it work :)
meriad

Re: does anyone have any clever ideas how to make...

Postby lissie » 20 Jan 2013, 17:17

Our birds come down and eat it so quickly there is no need to cover it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greedy lot they are :lol:

lissie :D
lissie

Postby meriad » 20 Jan 2013, 17:24

I'd have thought the gang of blackbirds would make light of the food I put out as well Lissie, but they seem to spend more timing chasing each other off vs eating. I even put down food on both sides of the shed hoping that two birds would eat at the same time... they're a daft lot sometimes ;-)
meriad

Postby Kaz » 20 Jan 2013, 17:28

The bird cake we put out yesterday is still there :roll:

Ungrateful things :P :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Return to Homes and Gardens