Help me please.

For all those techno questions

Help me please.

Postby AggersAgain » 28 Aug 2016, 17:29

PROBLEM !.
I've just been playing about with my wife's Laptop with Windows 8.1.

I don't know how I did it , but now, when we access a website, it appears microscopically
small at the top of the screen and we can't find out how to get it back to normal size.

Please help, or it's the doghouse for me.

PROBLEM 2.
When I log in to BT Emails. I get this message - We're experiencing a temporary problem with Email and are working to fix it as soon as possible. Please try again later. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience. The funny thing is that I have just had a BT Email on my wife's Laptop, which connected to the Internet through the same Modem.Any ideas?
AggersAgain

Re: Help me please.

Postby Workingman » 28 Aug 2016, 19:04

John, if you do a quick double click at the top of the web page it should return to full size.

The e-mail thing could be one of those ...

A guess, and it is only a guess, is that W's laptop and yours are using different DNS to find a route to BT's servers and also that you are on different physical servers.

GMX has two server types, mail.gmx.co.uk and pop.gmx.co.uk. On the rare occasions that GMX fails I just switch my e-mail client to the other address. GMX is able to route e-mails internally so that if an in/out going problem arises on their mail or pop servers another door can be opened. BT might be doing the same.
Workingman

Postby AggersAgain » 29 Aug 2016, 12:57

Thanks, Frank.

I haven't had a chance to try your double click suggestion yet, as we are today very busy
getting our bedroom ready for a change of furniture tomorrow.

With regard to my email problem, how do you go about changing the 'server types'?
AggersAgain

Postby Workingman » 29 Aug 2016, 14:55

John, you can only do it outside of webmail on an e-mail client on your computer (Thunderbird, Outlook, Windows Live Mail or similar) and only then if your email provider allows it.

I am just looking at BT and all its mail servers, incoming and outgoing, are addressed at mail.btinternet.com and all it allows is the option of IMAP or POP3 for you to pull e-mails from its servers and this is done using different port numbers. This link explains.

I do not actually know if you use an e-mail client or simply access mail via the web, but I would guess that if you have a client it is using POP3
Workingman

Postby Suff » 30 Aug 2016, 03:59

I'm assuming that you're using webmail and this is a message about service issues on the host servers.

I get this from time to time with yahoo and as the BT webmail you are using is hosted by yahoo, that should be the answer.

For the websites, the control kestrokes to get back to normal size are

Most browsers, Ctrl + 0
IE in most modes Ctrl + *

Alternatively you should be able to set the zoom to 100% from another way. IE, go to Page and Zoom. IE also has a magnifying glass on the status bar at the bottom.

Firefox allows you to set the zoom from the menu, 3 parallel lines.
Chrome is the same.

All of them response to Ctrl + and - by zooming in or out incrementally.

hope that helps.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby AggersAgain » 30 Aug 2016, 11:11

Thanks, Suff.

We'll try those out later.

Edit...
The Control + O has done the trick. Many thanks. :?
Last edited by AggersAgain on 30 Aug 2016, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
AggersAgain

Postby Suff » 30 Aug 2016, 14:07

Great. Useful things to know. I had to learn them in self defence when using multiple browsers.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc