If only W10 worked...

For all those techno questions

Re: If only W10 worked...

Postby Suff » 18 Mar 2017, 02:47

Diflower wrote:Wish I could do that Gal, Vista can't be upgraded to windows 10.
Sounds like a really good deal :)

Actually Vista can be upgraded to W10 but only through Windows7. I have upgraded several Vista machines to W7 and above although I don't hang on to them in the end. But, in order to do that, you need all the images and the keys. The last one I did was 32 bit and I had to use business W7 to upgrade it and wound up on business W8.1 with no upgrade to W10 as I don't have any Business W10 images.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 18 Mar 2017, 16:04

Suff wrote:It's quite possible that the RAM was second hand.

Ah the good old days. :D :D :D

When I was building them or doing a refurb I had a drawer full, as well as HDDs, CD rws, graphics cards.......... :roll: :oops: :geek:

I made some cracking machines out of old bits for people looking for a cheap upgrade so long as the motherboard could take the strain. :ugeek:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 18 Mar 2017, 16:41

Still the same days for me. When my ESXi server blew it's power supply, I bought a new motherboard for it at the same time as the power supply. When I fitted both of them I found that the surge, when it failed, had also taken the graphics card with it. A quick rummage around the graphics card graveyard and it was running again. I bought the power supply because the one which blew had already been salvaged from an old case and I wanted a bit more longevity.

If you only need something which works a bit better, then second hand parts are perfect. For many things, like RAM, the useable lifetime is measured in decades.

A quick look over my head elicits a cupboard with 3 hdd's and two DVD/RW's. Still working, awaiting a home. Mrs S keeps on moaning about me teaching her to rip our remaining library of DVD's and BD's. I think I'll build a machine for her with 4 of them in, mainly from spares and teach her to use it.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 18 Mar 2017, 17:22

Suff wrote:I think I'll build a machine for her with 4 of them in, mainly from spares and teach her to use it.

If she takes to it I hope she does not file them in the way some people (my BIL) file their music:
The Animals
The Beach Boys
The Commodores........

Most of his folders had few things in till you got to 'T', then it went berserk! :P :P :P :o :shock:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 18 Mar 2017, 18:43

Hmmm, it's Movies\1-C and D-G etc.

Yes we do have a lot of The.... titles but not overly so and not all like Lord of the Rings etc...

Good for navigating with a streamer that does SMB shares.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc