Weak router password

For all those techno questions

Re: Weak router password

Postby Gal » 09 Jun 2017, 18:15

Gal wrote:Ok so I have two passwords printed on the router, one says Wifi password and the other is router password

So NOT use the router p/word on the bottom of the router, then?
Gal

Postby Workingman » 09 Jun 2017, 19:37

Gal, if you go to the link it looks like you might have a Huawei HG635 or more likely a HG633 Super Router in which case when you do 192.168.1.1 the screen asks

Username = admin

Password = This is the one on the sticker but not the WiFi one.

The detailed instructions are found on the last heading and dropdown on the page with a screenshot.

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/change-you ... sword#8839
Workingman

Postby Gal » 10 Jun 2017, 13:40

It's a D Link DSL-3782 super router. It has user name admin and p/word letters and numbers (not the wifi p/word)

I'm guessing I'll select the top option on your link?
Gal

Postby Workingman » 10 Jun 2017, 14:40

Aha, now we are getting somewhere, or not. :P

Your D Link DSL-3782 super route is NOT covered in the old link it is covered here but it does not cover the username/password settings.

So, I went looking for the manual and found the generic User Manual here. On p13 is says:
If this is your first time using the router, open your web browser and enter http://dlinkrouter.local./ in the address bar. Alternatively, enter the IP address of the router (default: http://192.168.1.1). The default password is admin.

This now suggests that to get in to the router you need the Username: admin and the Password: as found on the sticker you mentioned earlier.

Page 66 gives instructions on how to change the router's login Username and Password.

The UM is pretty good as it takes you through all the steps to set up the router, including changing the username/password pair. Most of it you should not need to change, but it is a good reference.
Workingman

Postby Gal » 10 Jun 2017, 15:07

Blimey!! Thanks heaps Frank, looks like it's taken you a good while!! Yep that's the router I have.

Right - I'm going in!
Gal

Postby Workingman » 24 Jun 2017, 18:48

Gal, we were right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 26 Jun 2017, 00:16

I was going to add to that but it's way too long and too involved.

In short, anyone who is serious about security takes the time and the effort to change their passwords and wifi codes. You cannot trust a company to do it for you unless they are a security company you are paying for the explicit job of ensuring your security.

I've watched Mrs S doing cross stich and knitting complicated patterns. In terms of complexity home routers are child's play. Monkey see Monkey do.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Gal » 30 Jun 2017, 15:49

I'm having too many problems with the internet dropping out off and on to worry about passwords atm.

TalkTalk know about it, due to constant interruption during online chat facility last week. Currently I have the phone socket unscrewed and the test port in use for the BB cable (on advice from your man at TT) they are ringing me tomorrow to see if this has helped (it has not). I suspect a faulty connection somewhere down the line. :(
Gal

Postby Suff » 01 Jul 2017, 09:37

Gal wrote:I'm having too many problems with the internet dropping out off and on to worry about passwords atm.

TalkTalk know about it, due to constant interruption during online chat facility last week. Currently I have the phone socket unscrewed and the test port in use for the BB cable (on advice from your man at TT) they are ringing me tomorrow to see if this has helped (it has not). I suspect a faulty connection somewhere down the line. :(

I assume they have been through the entire microfilter thing and that you have no phones connected in the house which are not microfiltered?

it might be worth trying this, with everything but the phone disconnected, using your phone handset, from the test port. The Quiet test should be quiet, if it is not then there is a problem on the BT line an no amount of testing will resolve it, it must be rectified by an engineer.

Gal, my friend had this problem for 5 years at home in Scotland. Finally, after 5 years, they sent out an engineer who tested the line and replaced a piece of cable, connecting his house, which was 50 years old and was the prime cause of the problem. He now runs a very successful long range Wifi internet business that he built himself from scratch to get around the pitifully lame services provided by BT. He now grosses £100k per year on that business, has 300 customers and employs 6 people including his wife and daughter.

I had a similar problem here in France. We kept losing the internet connection. However, fortunately, the phone was also terrible for quality and kept crackling and breaking up. I was able to insist that an engineer came and he resolved the problem with their line (they had to fit a new cable). We had issues again, later, which was with the exchange in the town, seems they keep records because they didn't fight with me that time.

In simple terms and in my experience, if you are plugged into the primary socket and you don't have rogue phones plugged into the wiring, then the problem is with the provider (usually BT), cabling but the ISP (TalkTalk or others), will try and avoid sending an engineer as they never have enough.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Gal » 01 Jul 2017, 15:44

I don't have a handset so can't test it with that. No handset means I don't have anything else to interfere with the microfilter.

Still awaiting their call ....
Gal

PreviousNext

Return to Computers etc