Windows 10 update has wrecked my new laptop

For all those techno questions

Windows 10 update has wrecked my new laptop

Postby medsec222 » 05 Feb 2018, 20:17

Hoping for a computer techie to help me out.

I bought a new HP laptop a day or so ago. It came with Windows 10.

I put my favourite sites, e-mail site, google, firefox etc and all was well.

The next day when I switched on it was running a window update so I left it to do its job.

When I switched it on again it was very slow, my favour sites which are situated under the Google name had disappeared and I could not log on to me e-mail.

I switched it off for a while and then switched it on again. The favourite sites had re-appeared to I thought all was well. However, it is not the case. When I try to connect to my favourite sites I get the blue circle and eventually that the site cannot be reached.

I am at my wits end as I am not computer techie and I don't know what to do. I feel bad because my husband bought it for me and he keeps asking whats wrong with it.

Help would be appreciated, bearing in mind I am a bit simple when it comes to computers and can only do basic things.
medsec222

Re: Windows 10 update has wrecked my new laptop

Postby TheOstrich » 05 Feb 2018, 20:21

You have my full sympathy, Medsec, and I shall look forward to reading the answers our board techies offer in due course, because I also have a laptop that takes forever and a day to update Windows 10, to the extent we rarely now use it. Mind you, broadband speed here is not all it's cracked up to be, I think ....
TheOstrich

Postby Suff » 05 Feb 2018, 20:33

Medsec, it's likely to be the Fall Creators Update which has installed.

You have a month to back it out if it is. Go to

Start->The cog icon for settings->Recovery

In the Recovery settings select the button which says "Go back to a previous build".

That should put you back where you were and, I think, block it from trying again. At least in the short term.

Worth a try.

Same as this really.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 05 Feb 2018, 20:49

Thanks Suff.

I have followed your steps. It is now restoring my previous version of Windows. Only last night I was so happy that all was going well. I dont have that much confidence in Microsoft - it seems to mess everything up. It is the same with Word. It used to be fairly easy to navigate but there are one of two simple things that baffle me. For instance I used to tab in to start an indented paragraph and it always worked. But now it really messes up my documents.

Hopefully my computer will restores itself. Can you refuse updates in Windows 10?
medsec222

Postby medsec222 » 05 Feb 2018, 21:07

All seems to be well Suff - things are as they were last night. Hopefully it will stay the same now. Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
medsec222

Postby Suff » 05 Feb 2018, 22:42

Glad to hear it medsec.

Sadly you can't refuse updates. The only trick which seems to work is to set your network connection to metered. But the problem then is you block all updates and you really do need most of them.

As for word and office, I feel for you. I have similar issues with Word and Excel and the changing of things for no other reason, it seems, but to make it look different.

Very irksome.

Windows 10 is an issue with the updates and we do wind up getting a whole pile of stuff we don't want. However we, the users, are our own enemies. Microsoft did this because so many people ignored the updates and became infected. So we opened ourselves up to Microsoft being more draconian.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc