Problems with IE9

For all those techno questions

Problems with IE9

Postby Rodo » 06 Dec 2012, 10:56

I don't know if anybody can help. I have tried every avenue possible to find a solution but have come up with nothing. Just suddenly and for no reason I can't stay logged in to any forum or website apart from the newspaper websites. One minute it was fine and then the next this happened. It is an awful nuisance. In the morning I open lots of browsers to try to give me the chance to visit my usual forums, but they don't stay open for long.

I used to like to stay logged into my favourite websites with a link in Favourites, but can't do this any more. Continual logging in is such a nuisance when you like to visit websites several times a day. It really has been driving me nuts.

Hubby did suggest changing to Chrome. I have always resisted this as I hate Chrome. It would mean re-doing all my favourites though with the new link. I have a long list of many many favourites down the LH side and I just can't face having to do all that.

I just can't understand why it all suddenly changed though. I have looked at my settings many times and just can't see what would make a difference - or even if anything could.
Rodo

Re: Problems with IE9

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2012, 11:23

It sounds like a cookie/cache problem Rodo, you might have to delete both. Have a look at this page for help: http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

If you are using Win7 there is a link at the bottom of the page.

If you are going to do this you will need to login to all the sites again with the username/password pair for each board so make sure you have them all remembered before you go ahead.

An alternative which might work is to look for a link on each site to delete all board cookies, but again you will still need the username/password pair.

Shut down IE9, wait a while and then restart it.
Workingman

Postby Rodo » 06 Dec 2012, 12:11

Thanks Frank. Another avenue to try.
Rodo

Postby Suff » 06 Dec 2012, 12:59

Hi Rodo,

Also check you have not switched compatibility mode. It's a torn page icon which sits next to the refresh and search icons at the end of the address bar. If it's blue then it is on, if it's grey it is off.

It might be that. I've noticed that compatibility is breaking stuff.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Rodo » 06 Dec 2012, 13:52

Many many thanks to you two lovely fellas. It would appear that we are back in business again.
Compatability was switched on Suff as you suspected. I did the switch off of cookie/cache as you suggested WM and that worked a treat. So far fantastic.
Rodo

Postby Suff » 06 Dec 2012, 15:30

Always a pleasure to see our friends working online properly again. May it stay fixed.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2012, 20:20

+1
Workingman

Postby Oojamaflip » 08 Dec 2012, 11:54

For a future just-in-case 'backup' give Mozilla Firefox a go. When you first install it, it gives the option of copying across all your bookmarks, etc, from IE.
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Return to Computers etc