Help with using the number keypad

For all those techno questions

Help with using the number keypad

Postby Gal » 13 Dec 2012, 18:23

I've googled but can't find any advice that helps :|

All the advice gives is press the Fn key and then num lock, but there is no Fn key (lol!) - just a row of numbers along the top with F1 through to F12.

How can I use the numbers only? I can use them along the top of the keyboard but I like them all in a clump :)
Gal

Re: Help with using the number keypad

Postby Workingman » 13 Dec 2012, 19:19

Gal, I take it that you are using a laptop without a dedicated number pad on the RH side.

The F1, F2, F3 ---- F11, F12. are legacy function keys, but still used. F11 toggles browsers between full screen or window mode. They do not need any other key to be pressed to operate. The number keys are on a line below the F keys and they have two modes: numbers or symbols. Numbers are the main mode and work directly when pressed, the secondary mode works with the Shift key for example 3 or shift + 3 to get £. Same as upper/lower case with the letter keys.

What you might be talking about is the "hidden" number pad as a third mode of the letter keys. It you look at some of the F keys you will see other symbols on some of the keys in green/blue, maybe a blank TV screen, half moon, a sun... and so on. These are the newer second functions of the F keys and they need the Fn key to be accessed. Now if you look on the the keys 7 8 and 9, Y U I O, J K L you will also see in blue/green on the front key chamfer a number as a key function. The combined keys form a number pad. You can toggle this whole pad on and of with the key combination Fn plus Num Lock.

The Fn key is on the LH side of the fist row of keys.

ETA if your keyboard does have a number pad all you need do is make sure the Num Lock light is on by toggling the Num Lock key - no Fn key needed.
Workingman

Postby Gal » 13 Dec 2012, 19:35

Workingman wrote:Gal, I take it that you are using a laptop without a dedicated number pad on the RH side.

The F1, F2, F3 ---- F11, F12. are legacy function keys, but still used. F11 toggles browsers between full screen or window mode. They do not need any other key to be pressed to operate. The number keys are on a line below the F keys and they have two modes: numbers or symbols. Numbers are the main mode and work directly when pressed, the secondary mode works with the Shift key for example 3 or shift + 3 to get £. Same as upper/lower case with the letter keys.

What you might be talking about is the "hidden" number pad as a third mode of the letter keys. It you look at some of the F keys you will see other symbols on some of the keys in green/blue, maybe a blank TV screen, half moon, a sun... and so on. These are the newer second functions of the F keys and they need the Fn key to be accessed. Now if you look on the the keys 7 8 and 9, Y U I O, J K L you will also see in blue/green on the front key chamfer a number as a key function. The combined keys form a number pad. You can toggle this whole pad on and of with the key combination Fn plus Num Lock.

The Fn key is on the LH side of the fist row of keys.

ETA if your keyboard does have a number pad all you need do is make sure the Num Lock light is on by toggling the Num Lock key - no Fn key needed.

Thank you!! I spent ages looking for the Fn key! No I do have a collection of numbers to the right of my keyboard - 0 to 9 - but they wouldn't work. My top row has all the F1 to F12 with symbols on them as you say (no idea what they are though) next row down are numerical keys 1 through to 0, with as you say symblos above them, !, " etc etc...then the qwerty board :)
Gal

Postby Workingman » 13 Dec 2012, 19:41

:D Glad it's working Gal. Keyboards change and different manufacturers have different ideas about what we need and where they should be.
Workingman

Return to Computers etc