Partial Memory loss

For all those techno questions

Re: Partial Memory loss

Postby Workingman » 30 Jun 2013, 22:23

This is seriously strange.

I am now using IE10 - having had 8 and 9 as secondary browsers.

Credential manager only shows passwords from MS sites - Outlook, Live etc.

Password revealers show nothing.

The old Password Storage api is no longer used.

The registry keys HKCU or KHLM Software/Microsoft/IE/Intelliforms........ show only two (encrypted) keys - I assume they are for Outlook and Live.

Yet IE10, even though cookies are blocked from individual sites, remembers my logins from VV, Tinypic, BBC - they are blocked to test thing. It is saving logins somewhere, but nobody knows where! MS ain't letting on.

I have cleared things using both our methods, Suff, to no avail. I simply cannot find a way of recovering lost password pairs and it is driving me nuts.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 01 Jul 2013, 07:51

Thanks. Frank and Suff.

I have reset things as you suggested and it appears to have done the trick.

(fingers crossed)
Aggers

Postby Suff » 01 Jul 2013, 12:04

Hi Frank,

This article explains the vaults and a recovery tool is found here on passcape's site.

I don't see any .vcrd files on my work machine but I do see some passwords I have chosen to save with IE10 in my vault, linked to work sites. All prefixed Microsoft_WinInet with the URL of the machine after.

I don't know if it will help.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 01 Jul 2013, 15:18

Hi Suff,

PIEPR is the tool I was using and I read the article. When I manually tell PIEPR to look in my Vault it only finds a .vpol file but no passwords.

It is not a problem as I save all my pass pairs in an encrypted and hidden file.... it was more a brain working exercise. :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 01 Jul 2013, 17:49

It seems to be broken in W7. In W8 the credentials manager has a web credentials setting which is missing in W7.

IE10 is a retrofit from W8 back into W7 and my guess is they have hidden the web credentials in the credentials manager. As IE10 was designed for W8 and not W7. There's probably some horrible hack to expose it, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc