Windows 10

For all those techno questions

Windows 10

Postby Aggers » 06 Jul 2016, 16:03

Windows have just changed my wife's laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without being asked,
which I think is a blinking cheek, We now find it almost impossible to use, and we are hopping mad.

As I don't wish them to do the same to my Windows 7 Laptop, I have downloaded and installed something
that will prevent this from happening. For anyone wishing to do the same, this is the website....

www.grc.com/never10.htm
Aggers

Re: Windows 10

Postby Suff » 06 Jul 2016, 21:12

You can, of course, back out of Windows10.

[edit]

Once you have rolled back MS will not ask you again or try to upgrade again.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Aggers » 06 Jul 2016, 22:52

Thanks, Suff.

I've done as you suggest and we are back to normal now, and I now have a happy wife.
Aggers

Postby Rodo » 07 Jul 2016, 11:57

My new PC came with Windows 10 installed and I love it!
Rodo

Postby Workingman » 07 Jul 2016, 12:47

I bought my computer, I own it. It is mine, not Microsoft's, so I will decide what is on it, and it will not be W10, that's final.
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 07 Jul 2016, 13:14

Fully understand your PoV, WM, which was exactly how I felt when they began to roll it out, but, like Rodo, we acquired a new laptop with it pre-loaded, so we have had to use it and have now got used to it, so I didn't eventually have any major qualms about taking the plunge and updating my PC. I wouldn't say I particularly rave over it, but it does what I need it to do quite efficiently, and the games apps are very good.

Where MS have put people's backs up is the constant and intrusive push to upgrade, and don't ever think the hectoring stops when you do install W10 ...... It's constantly bickering at me to do this 'n that but I've found that if you ignore it, it'll subside muttering back in its corner for two or three days before it starts up again. :D

I do agree that there are ongoing concerns over MS's intrusiveness via W10, and I wonder where the "Big Brother" effect will eventually lead us .....
TheOstrich

Postby Suff » 07 Jul 2016, 13:22

I also bought my own pc and I license my OS from Microsoft (wonder how many know that??).

I will move all my systems to W10 starting with my main PC over this weekend/week. My Laptop will go next and then I'll do any of the virtual machines that neeed to be done.

I'll probably have to build and store half a dozen VM's upgraded to W10 and then just stored for further use. Because of the loss of the Micrrosoft Technet subscription, I no longer have any of the later media...

I know it's a pain to a lot of people but 3 years from now nobody will even be talking about it. W7 and W8.1 will be a memory and W10 will be all that anyone wants to talk about. Or, critically, produce new drivers for new hardware for. So, say, you buy the next greatest USB widget, take it home and try to install it. Only to find that the only driver available is W10.

Granted this won't happen for the next 3 or 4 years, but there is one thing guaranteed, it will happen.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 07 Jul 2016, 14:28

I am giving two Linux distros a go - Zorin and Cinnamon. I have tried some others and didn't get on well with them. It was not that they work so differently from windows, that I could live with, but there seemed to be a lot of faffing about just to make things work.

The above two claim to have the Win/Linux change over in mind so far as peripherals and some software goes and come in 32 and 64-bit versions, which are both types compatible. I will give them a go and see how they get on with cameras, printers, phones and media players.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Jul 2016, 14:50

Have you tried x64 android?
Suff

Postby Workingman » 07 Jul 2016, 16:03

No! Having had an Anoydroid phone I am not even going to look. ;) :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Next

Return to Computers etc