Have I got a problem?

For all those techno questions

Have I got a problem?

Postby cruiser2 » 21 Aug 2016, 15:51

I have 360 Total Security, Malwarebyte and CC Cleaner installed. My OS is Windows 10.
I use them regularly and they occasionaly find a problem.
After using Total Security, the results show I have one threat which disappears when I click on repair.
If I do this again an hour later I get the same result.
There are no adverse results when using Malwarebyte or CC Cleaner.
It does not show what the threat is and I do not think I have a virus as I am very careful and will not open unknown emails or web sites.
I am the only one who uses this computer so I have only myself to blame if something is wrong.
Should I be worries or just keep on doing scans as above
cruiser2

Re: Have I got a problem?

Postby Rodo » 21 Aug 2016, 16:13

Sometimes you get one of these programmes that doesn't like one of the others, so it could be that. Anyway - what do I know. One of the experts will be along soon.
Rodo

Postby Workingman » 21 Aug 2016, 18:42

Cruiser, I use 360 Total Security and it can sometimes be a bit aggressive and give a few false positives.

To see what is going on do a double click on its icon on the taskbar. When its dashboard comes up go to the Main Menu - three horizontal bars top right. Now go to Quarantine and you will see all the things 360 TS has put there over time, including information files. Latest finds are at the top of the list.

Sometimes they are things like session cookies from browsing and at other times they could be things like .exe, .com, .dll files in programs you have downloaded and wanted to keep, especially those in zip files.

As an example, you have downloaded the CCleaner setup file, that is a .exe file. When you do a scan 360 TS will flag this file as one it will not run. The message will be in quarantine.

If you go back to the Main Menu and Settings you can add such files to the Trust List, but to be honest it is a bit of a faff. I just leave things and let 360 TS keep reporting them, then I ignore them.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 22 Aug 2016, 08:50

I'm with WM here. I've never used 360 total security but I've used plenty of others. It's likely to be cookies or even something which is created when a program is run. Every time you run the program it will create it and 360 will detect it every time you run it after.

As WM says, the only way to be sure is to go and look at what 360 is actually finding and "fixing". It will probably be that you want 360 to ignore it and then you can exclude it.

If you don't want to be bothered with "helpful" messages, sometimes you have to tune to get the least worry.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc