Facebook

For all those techno questions

Facebook

Postby victor » 14 Dec 2016, 22:29

Anyone got any ideas on why I have lost my list of friends on F/B when a circle is going round as if trying to load
victor

Re: Facebook

Postby victor » 14 Dec 2016, 22:49

Whoops forgot to say that Laptop and Android fone are OK it's just Android Hudl
victor

Postby Rodo » 15 Dec 2016, 05:34

I have been having problems with Facebook for a few days now. I often have to give up and open a new tab and try again.
Rodo

Postby Suff » 15 Dec 2016, 11:27

How many tabs do you have open? I'd do a hard restart (Hold power button and down[volume] button for 5-7 seconds) and see if it sorts it. It sounds like out of memory to me.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby victor » 15 Dec 2016, 11:57

Cheers Suff ,will give that a try
victor

Postby victor » 15 Dec 2016, 13:22

Suff your a star ! Thank you
victor

Postby Suff » 15 Dec 2016, 13:58

You are very welcome. It's just the same ole same ole. WM didn't get there first because he's not well but would have probably said the same.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 15 Dec 2016, 17:15

I got rid of my only Anoydroid device.

The hard reset was done as Suff said, only as it had no volume switch it was done by sticking a pin in the back on the reset button.

It has been a known problem for ages, so one to keep in mind for the future. Mine used to play silly sods if the battery got too low so I never let it get below 30%.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 16 Dec 2016, 13:04

There is some fairy story about all devices that are not Windows will run forever, perfectly and will manage themselves.

I had to close about 300 tabs on Mrs S' iPad one time just to get it back. I had to reboot it no end of times due to Safari crashes. My Uncle only uses FireFox because of Safari issues.

All computers in normal use leak memory. So they have to be shut down and restarted. Sadly handheld devices resist this. Even in "reboot" mode they just shrink down the system state and do a "smart" reboot. Leaving all sorts of problems unresolved.

The main reason for this "smart" setup is that these devices are so slow to boot that they are virtually impossible to use. Apple goes on and on about it's "instant on" mobile devices. Until I showed Mrs S her iPad starting up from a hard shutdown. 10 minutes later, when she was able to use it, I think the message kind of got through. But not for long.

Reality is this. If we were to have operating systems like space systems (guaranteed never to fail), we would get a new one every 50 years.

So very simple things like knowing how to hard reset your latest gizmodo are very useful things to know. Because the manufacturer has no interest in telling you.

Now, if someone was to tell my how my IOT socket managed to turn itself off and not heat the hot water... That would be nice to know. I'm leaning towards "user error" as it's working just fine now.
Suff

Return to Computers etc